April 27, 2024, 10:57:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

pzokes/regrind

Started by poorbiker, December 02, 2008, 04:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorbiker

Just curious, did you ever find someone to regrind your cam, Talked to Leineweber recently when I ordered my Knuckle cam, mentioned regrinding, they said they do it, in case you didnt find anyone...................
"Effort takes no talent"

Pzokes

December 06, 2008, 09:28:40 PM #2 Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:49:05 AM by Pzokes
Thanks for the replies.  I've still got the motor sitting on the bench while I've been trying to finish another project.  Thanks for asking Leineweber, and posting the Black Widow website.  I hated to mention exactly what I was doing, because some people get upset if everything is not stock/restored.  I have a 1938 Flathead lower end mocked up with a Panhead top end modified for outside oilers.  It bolts right on.  It looks like the lifter blocks can be modified like 45 Magnum's.  Pushrods angles are differerent, but the mock up pushrod that I made seemed to work OK. The angles for the pushrod tubes to seat in the heads will have to be recut.  Oil feed for the top end can come off the oil pump sending unit fitting.  Connecting rods will have to be swapped for XA rods.... And that left regrinding the Flathead camshafts to a Panhead profile.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
There's miles to go before I sleep.

MBSKEAM

well thats cool...

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

04customking

I agree, very cool, and different.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

ricochet

I've hear of regrinding cams before.  What does that involve?  Adding material first then grinding to as new specs or just grinding the surfaces and loosing something in the process?

FWIW, I know Randy at Hyperformance has the tool to machine/align your pushrod tube holes.

ricochet

Pzokes

richochet,

One way is to grind a little off the back side of the lobe, changing the base circle then take some off the lobe.  Another way is to hardface weld the lobe, then regrind. 

That tool that you are talking about is made by JIM's for aligning holes in Merch Fatso motors, but it should work to do what I want to do.  I built and still own a Fatso/Fatvo motor with relocated pushrod holes.

Pzokes

December 08, 2008, 05:32:36 PM #7 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:36:08 PM by Pzokes
William's Motors UL Flathead with Shovelhead top end from the '70's, featured in Easyrider.

MBSKEAM

I built and still own a Fatso/Fatvo motor with relocated pushrod holes.

how do you like it?

do you have the cutter tool?

would not be that hard to make one....

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Pzokes

msbeam,
I really like it.  I built it in '05.  It's in a Krafttech rigid frame with a 230x15.  I set it up for low end torque.  It's an "overchiever".  It makes more torque that it should for a 100cu in motor.  I'm currently changing the '99 heads that I have on it now to '07 heads with a high velocity porting job.  I had someone relocate the holes for me last time, but this time I'm having the holes welded and I'm borrowing the tool to recut the holes. 

You're right, it wouldn't be hard to make the tool.

ricochet

He needed to dress the pushrod holes in the heads and tappet blocks for my build due to taller cylinders and conversion blocks.  The tool is basic for a machinist type person to put together if your any good at finding the cutters and such.

ricochet

poorbiker

the tubes make it look like an old iron head. Cool
Chech out the pic.

"Effort takes no talent"

Pzokes

Yeah, the pushrod angles do look the same. 

Should I call this motor a "Four-cam Pan" when I talk to people that own late model Twin-Cams?