May 09, 2024, 01:46:44 AM

News:

2 sets of numbers stamped in block .. Forgery ???

Started by Rick, March 09, 2010, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I picked up an Ironhead from NY with title ..
after looking it over during disassembly I noticed a set of numbers Stamped with a line through them
then another set right below with no line .. Different numbers ..

any idea what this might be about ?
looked like the exact same style digits ....

Thanks for any info ..

Rick
A little twisted a bit rusty might slip once in a while
but still a wrench

Rick

might I ad I mean on the motor not the frame .... :teeth:
but still a wrench

Lew

I'm fairly sure what that's about, and I'm fairly sure the factory didn't put them there.  The numbers that aren't crossed out match the frame numbers huh?

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Rick

I know where your going with that
This thing is a 78 TURD and it don't look as they tried to remove them
just a single line through ...

If someone was to blow up there iron in the early years and replaced it with a used one
How would you register the bike when the motor if it don't match the Vin
Would Harley have re stamped the motor ?

I'm not one to restamp something so I'm ignorant to getting stamps that are exact to HD
the 8's are flat and so on ... these things are dead on
reading both sets of numbers is obvious .. wouldn't you remove a "HOT" number completely
if that was the case ?
This is something that was done long ago ... lots of rust and grime tell me this ...  :scratch:

I'm trying to contact the previous owner for an explanation , pretty sure there in law enforcement
or were at one time ...
but still a wrench

Lew

I'm not implying that you put them there.
If all the numbers are listed on the title there most likely isn't a problem.
I'd be interested in hearing info from someone that has some insight into the legitimacy of these crossed out and doubled numbers, as it's the first I've heard of this.
FYI- Harley style number stamps are listed on ebay from time to time, and go for big bucks too.....

Lew

pappyfreebird

two sets n a line thru is differnt fer chure...ive had n seen a few shovels wid factry replacement motors n jus differnt motors thus nawt matchin numbars...but ifn numbars r on title she shouldnt be n issue,,chit anymo they dont match on purpose ..my 79 flh had a factry replacement (so i were told) thus differnt nos..yet in the code thingie they meant the same thing n was on title n nevar had issue

Rick

For anyone interested .. This is what I got
The 78 was an original owner bike and It got Stolen YEARS back ..
who ever stole it,,or friends there of ----  tried to stamp new numbers in it
The bike was recovered and returned to the Real Owner with both numbers stamped in the Motor
before said thief got to wipe out original vin which he had left there so he could "Perfectly Line Up"
the stamps,,

It bugged the owner so he just crossed out the incorrect number
I was told this was over 25 years ago and forgotten about ..
The Owner had passed away and the bike sat in the garage until I came across it ....

I guess every Bike has a story ..
and considering what this one is ..
Old, worn, rusty and deserving of a restoration...  I believe it

Any input of this ?
I'd be happy to hear it

Rick
but still a wrench

Lew

Makes sense to me now.  If it were mine, I'd remove or obliterate the crossed out numbers.  Having those on the cases could possibly (most likely) cause concern to an officer inspecting the bike in the event of an accident, or inspection.  Impound fees would add up fast until the issue had been worked out.  Good luck!

Lew

pappyfreebird

cool story...n makes sense too...so does lew,,since hasnt been retitled a few times like that ya could find a sticky dude sumwhere,,otherwise id leave it n tell my tale,,so long as kin clearly see frame n motor nos match n then the extree wid lines in it,,jus my thought..its history of ol hogs in a way

catmcaw

I've been riding for 40 yrs and have never had anyone check my numbers but I have heard a horror story or two about numbers being randomly checked at events.
  If a policeman checked your motor it would more than likely go to the impound lot but the chances of it being checked are small.

BikerJim44

Since you now know the story I would take it to the State Police andhave them run a VIN check. When they do that then ask them what the harm would be in leaving the crossed out numbers on there since it is part of the history of this old girl and it may just be bad juju to remove the unofficial numbers. Kind of a karma thing if you will. Just my .02. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

Maddog

they are on the block between the lifters right??   If so that's a factory replacement engine That's how they did years ago  How do i know you may ask  I have a 73 with 2 sets of numbers, an that's how HD worked in the 70s with replacement engines I tracked mine back to the first owner, who had a oil pump lock up an it took out the case an such, (under warranty!!) they just pull another engine an re stamp the numbers in it,, your vin number should match the frame number (if its a stock frame)You should see the mess of paperwork the state has on my sporty!! make your head spin, but its legal  Anything else you need to know??

RLPOS1

Back in  the day(1970'S0) A FREIND OF MINE AND I WHERE RIDING THROUGH A 0NE HORSE 4 BEER STORE TOWN IN TEXAS. HE HAD A 57 SPORTY AND I HAD A 74 SPORTY. WE MET A TEXAS STATE TROOPER ON THE HIGHWAY TOPPING A HILL AT ABOUT 100 MPH AND HE SLAMMED ON HIS BRAKES AND TURNED AROUND AND STOPPED US. HE WENT STRAIGHT TO THE 57 AND CHECKED NUMBERS AND PAPERS. THE BIKE CAME OUT OF CALIFORNIA AS HE WAS IN THE NAVY. THE NUMBERS MATCHED THE PAPERWORK EXCEPT IT SAID HONDO INSTEAD OF HARLEY DAVIDSON.  NO QUESTIONS ASKED AND WE WERE SENT MERRILY ON OUR WAY .   :wtf: 
1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger

phatbob

Those days are still here my friend, don't you just love cops.