April 30, 2024, 07:55:33 AM

News:

'05 Sportster Exhaust

Started by Bigs, March 11, 2010, 09:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigs

For what it's worth here is what I found with different exhaust systems on my Sportster. When my '05 1200C had the stage I with Screamin' Eagle II mufflers it ran good. Wanting a little more I put on a Thunderheader and a 7,000 rpm module. It ran very good and not to loud. Well after a while I thought why not go to stage II. I looked at the Harley Screamin' Eagle book and modified the engine exactly as they said. I still had the Thunderheader exhaust and it ran very good but was louder. I thought why not try the D&D Fat Cat and the indy I got it from thought it had the quiet baffle. Well it didn't have the quiet baffle and was way to loud and the bike vibrated like the dickens when you left off the throttle at say 5,000 rpm's. Well the Fat Cat came off until I got a quiet baffle for it. After putting the quiet baffle on, the exhaust was quieter but still a little on the loud side for me. I noticed the bike vibrated more than it use to when it had the stage I set up. I must be getting old since the noise was getting to me so I put on the Thunderheader. I was having some work done on my Road Glide so I was riding the Sportster more. I also noticed that even with the Thunderheader the bike had more vibration than originally but not as much as the D&D. On a long ride 200+ miles I got tired of the loud pipe and put on the old Screamin' Eagle II's. To me it was a lot more enjoyable to ride and the vibration that I had before seemed to go away. It was a lot quieter but would still let you know when you got on it. I don't know what the hp & tq are but with the D&D it was 84hp & 75tq. It still runs very strong and is a lot quieter.

To sum it up:
The D&D was loudest and I think their mounting caused some of the vibration.
The Thunderheader worked great on stock Stage I and wasn't to loud but louder after motor was modified.
Finally the Harley SE II's were the quietest and had the least vibration of the three with the modified motor.
   Bigs

mayor

good stuffs Bigs!   :up:  You bring up a good point regarding pipes and vibration, I think most folks don't realize harmonics can create vibration. 

..but

:teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Panzer

Me too Mr. Bigs, we want to see this sporty.
MMMMM, can't take the noise huh? :hyst:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Bigs

Here is a picture of the Sporty with the D&D Fat Cat.
   Bigs

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Bigs

Here you go. This is with the Thunderheader. I hope you guys are happy now.
   Bigs

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

mayor

Quote from: Bigs on March 12, 2010, 09:10:59 PM
Here you go. This is with the Thunderheader. I hope you guys are happy now.
   Bigs

what :dgust:   no stock head pipe with mufflers for comparison?    :teeth: I can relate to what you posted about getting a little tired of the louder pipes after riding longer stretches. I put Supertrapp IDS mufflers on my RK and love them.  I want to quiet up the other bikes now, but the wife isn't totally on board yet with that.   

that's a good looking sporty Bigs.  Who makes the front wheel?
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Bigs

Here is some info on the bike. It is also for sale with all the take offs - $8,000

Performance Machine Villain Wheels with Avon Venom tires, Progressive Suspension - front and rear, Hawg Halter 4 piston front caliber with Lyndall Z-Plus pads front and rear, Screamin’ Eagle chrome fork brace, quick detachable HD windshield,  Kuryakyn ISO-Grips with Throttle Boss, billet gas cap,  chrome carburetor top, HD stainless steel shift rod, stainless steel cables, chrome pulley cover, chrome upper belt guard, chrome lower belt guard, chrome cover on rear brake reservoir, chrome bolts in both front and rear rotors, chrome bolts on engine, LED rear turn signal mount, brake and turn signal kit,  matching painted side panels, Sundowner seat, back rest with pad and luggage rack, full Screamin’ Eagle Stage II w/Crane  lifters & adj. pushrods, Jagg oil cooler, oil temperature gauge, Screamin’ Eagle ignition wires, Screamin' Eagle II mufflers, Airfoil foot pegs and shifter peg, and security system with siren.