May 02, 2024, 04:49:19 AM

News:

Nose Cone vs. Frame mounted ignitions?

Started by Reddog74usa, December 03, 2008, 02:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

With the recent posts about nose cone ignitions going bad I would like to see if the later evo's bike with the frame mounted ignitions are more reliable. Anybody with a frame mounted ignition go bad? The heat in the nose cone has to be a factor.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Old Crow

3 bikes(2 evos and a shovel), 3 nosecone ignitions(2 Dyna-S and an Ultima), 7 years, no failures(well, OK, had a coil go south on one 'o the evos, but that don't count).
All 3 of these bikes were bought like this, so can't comment on the stock setup.  The bikes all average about 12k miles a year.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Buddy WMC

RD,

It's kind of a can of worms, had a stock ignition sensor go bad a couple of years ago with the typical melting down. My new Dyna 2000 module is frame mounted and replaced an SE module, both used the stock factory pickup. Alot of guys have had no problems with the nosecone style, others have.

I like the idea of keeping the electronics themselves away from the heat. If I melt another pickup, only that has to be changed and I keep a spare. That way the entire ignition system is not ruined and the bike will not be down waiting for parts.

gryphon

I installed an Omega heat detector strip in my nosecone. They have 4  circles that turn black at the temperatures marked. Even after the motor cools down they stay black. If your temp goes above 250 degrees it starts killing your ignition. Every now and then I take a look to see whats happened. So far hasn't gone up to 220 degrees.

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT