May 01, 2024, 04:51:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rocker Cover Gaskets

Started by gib57, December 03, 2008, 06:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib57

December 03, 2008, 06:08:18 AM Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:21:48 AM by gib57
 I plan on replacing the cylinder base gaskets this winter and was wondering  if the rocker cover gaskets can be re-used or should they be replaced whenever the covers are removed? Thanks
Gib57

Lawless

As a rule I always use new gaskets every time. What kind of base gaskets are ya gonna use? Can't go wrong with James base gaskets....won't leak again.
Lawless

ClassicRider2002

December 03, 2008, 07:12:29 AM #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:18:17 PM by ClassicRider2002
I plan on replacing the cylinder base gaskets this winter and was wondering  if the rocker cover gaskets can be re-used or should they be replaced whenever the covers are removed?

Gib57~~

Personally I have had the experience of chasing a rocker box gasket malfunction twice, the first time the work was fun the second time it wasn't quite so fun, so my point is if you are going all the way down to replace the "cylinder base gaskets" to begin with, then you will be replacing the rocker box gaskets as well if you reuse the current ones you do run a "higher" risk of going in a second time to replace if they malfunction.  Statistically, I would always replace with new.....but like everything with our bikes....decisions.....decisions.....decisions....

I also would pay attention to the attached "THREADS" below.......SIMPLY PLACE YOUR CURSOR OVER THE "TEAL TOPIC DISCUSSIONS", CLICK, VIEW AND READ........perhaps you will gain some help from the attached "THREADS" that deal with the gaskets:

FXR EVO ENGINE DISCUSSIONS:

1999 FXR2 ROCKER BOXES REPAIR HELP
1999 FXR2 OIL IS EVERYWHERE ANY IDEAS? ? ? ? ?
JAMES GASKETS THREE THUMBS UP
EVO BASE GASKETS
BASE GASKET WEEPING
ROCKER BOX GASKETS~FXR *
*Within the above attached THREAD I am "FXR2evo99". 
There are a total of 43 posts "REPLYS" into this THREAD, and basically starting at "REPLY" #23 begins where you will find the most interest.  "REPLYS" #23 - 31 are the most informative for any evo engine.  Some of the information within this "THREAD" will relate to working within the "frame" of the FXR butttttttttt "REPLYS" #23 - 31 will be "UNIVERSAL" to the application of any EVO ENGINE.  This "THREAD" also shows photos of the actual gaskets and part numbers that I have used on my EVO engine [my 99 FXR2] which have been successful.

Hopefully these "THREADS" will address some of your questions.....please respond with anything further that you need help with.....there are many here who are ready to help.

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

dave_9113

Classic gives you some good threads to read. 

Bottomline is YES, replace the cover gaskets.  They don't cost you much.  Don't need to get fancy.  the H-D factory replacement works very well. 

The important thing is you clean your surfaces good and take your time putting it together.   

v/r
dave

gib57

I appreciate the replies, thanks "Classic".  I will order new rocker gaskets when I figure which head and base gaskets to go with.  Lots of opinions and good info here.  I did replace the rocker cover gaskets  about a year ago with HD gaskets and it fixed the leak.  Working on my bike (93 flhs) is ussually enjoyable,  (except for a frozen swingarm pivot shaft from hell}, but I guess having to pull the rockers off again because I was trying to save a buck isnt worth the chance.  Thanks again
gib57

ClassicRider2002

glad to help.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

92Fatty

Quote from: gib57 on December 03, 2008, 10:05:16 AM
I appreciate the replies, thanks "Classic".  I will order new rocker gaskets when I figure which head and base gaskets to go with.  Lots of opinions and good info here.  I did replace the rocker cover gaskets  about a year ago with HD gaskets and it fixed the leak.  Working on my bike (93 flhs) is ussually enjoyable,  (except for a frozen swingarm pivot shaft from hell}, but I guess having to pull the rockers off again because I was trying to save a buck isnt worth the chance.  Thanks again
gib57
I wanted to save time and money reusing old and as stated above, I had to replace with new a second time. Fix it once with new gaskets and enjoy the fact you did it right the first time. :up: