April 30, 2024, 10:57:53 AM

News:

O/T Vavle spring change

Started by bhubb7, December 03, 2008, 06:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhubb7

Has any one changed a vavle spring with head on the engine? I have been told you can use a fitting in spark plug hole and use compressed air or use solft cotton rope put it in the spark pulg hole rotate piston up to hold the vavles. This is on a 2004 doge truck V6.   
brian

crazycalvin

Are you changing one spring or all?  Why the change?  I have heard of people doing that before, but if it were me I would remove the head so I could do it on the bench.  Later, Calvin.

Lew

Yes, I've done this to a couple of engines.  Last one was replacing a broken spring on a 304ci Jeep engine.  I used the rope trick on this one and it worked better than the compressed air I used the last time I did one.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

bhubb7

brian

Evo160K

A wrench did it with a ball joint pickle tool on a car I had.  I used the same principal to do it on my evo.  I brought the cylinder to TDC so the valve wouldn't fall far, if at all.  Here's a picture.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

WVULTRA

Saw this demo'd on American Thunder tonight:

http://www.irvingcustoms.com/nub-tools/

Not promoting it; just an FYI.........

:idea:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

86fxwg

3.7 magnum over head cam? yes u can,but u may need the tool to release the cam follower.The spring on this head is reasesed in the head But it can be done.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx