April 27, 2024, 08:20:19 PM

News:

solnoid starter button

Started by flht1550, December 03, 2008, 07:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

Does anyone know of a company that makes a starter push button that mounts on the solnoid itself on a 78 FLH. Any help at all would be great. Phone numbers or web. sites would be even better. I know they are easy to find for newer bike with the solenoid mounting piggyback on the starter, But looking for one for older bike

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

greybeard_541

Remove the rubber cap. Take an old feeler guage (.020" or so). Drill a hole in it that will go onto the stud holding your battery cable. Cut it to length so that it will just reach over the small stud that has the wire from your starter button. The idea is to bolt this onto the battery stud, have it hover over the solenoid stud, cover it all with the rubber boot. When the rubber boot is pressed, there's your new starter button. Been doing it like this for 5 years now and never a bit of problem.

Hope it helps,
Greybeard

Fab Kevin

Mid USA sells a neat solenoid replacement lever.  It is a manual lever that when pushed inward (to engage the starter clutch to the ring gear mechanicaly) it also trips the starter relay.  Not sure if thats what you are after, but it is part number: 17764

pappyfreebird

greybeards got it coverd fer free...aways spent our cash on dope n booze n couldnt afford parts so we made em n i seen the ol boyz do lotsa cheeyut..think they all ran feeler gauges,, n hacksaw blades werk great too..any piece of spring steel,,as he said under the boot

gary11623

I took the advice of pappy a year ago and did the feeler gauge thing. Most have a hole in them already,fits perfect over small terminal. Works good and more important works every time,price is right too

Fab Kevin

One neat thing about the Mid USA lever, is it eliminates the solenoid altogether.  So - that is one less electrical component to fail.

Lew

Ouch!.....that's one spendy gizzmo.  Trick idea though.
I turned a friend on to the feeler gauge trick for his FL.  He doesn't run a kicker so it works out to be kind of a theft deterrent also as nobody knows how it's started.     
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

triumphbruce

mine just has a pedal on the kicker arm
what's a solenoid  :hyst:

Flat Dog

It's a thing you have to install after having a heart attack and being run over by cagers one too many times.

pappyfreebird

er jus gittun lazy like me..i aways had the buttin on this rig ,,but still kick mo the thumb..well inbetween surgury recovries..hey maybe hernias ain fum wieght liftun,, werkin like a dog ,,maybe theys fum that fuggan kicker..well rekon we gonna hopefully find that it were non of em cause i rekon i cant give any up..ok i ain a complete stupido (keep yer comments ta yersevles boyz!) maybe i give up that kickar mo then nawt..maybe ony use it cold start n button hot.. now theres a (big fuggan werd commin here) compramise!!

Lew

December 11, 2008, 04:31:45 PM #11 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:34:22 PM by lewy1313
OK Pappy.....no comments from me........ :pop:

pappyfreebird

sure lew!!!stir the fuggan pot brutha!!! i realized i walked inta that barn door ,,but chose ta take me chances :hyst:

pappyfreebird

purty trick lookin ,,,bet spendee too,,,hey fer the rest a yous cats ,,think i spell bayud try n read that cheeyut!!!!

Lew

pappyfreebird

well jus seems like i keep gittun me a predeeyum fum bayer asprin n spell check jus sends me reject-tion letters