"The TAMER " clutch retainer insert, install & opinions

Started by twincamzz, March 14, 2010, 07:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincamzz

Installed a new clutch pack & one of them "tamer" clutch retainer inserts on my '61 Pan a few days ago. Due to rain & generally nasty conditions I still haven't gotten to actually take her out for a test ride. However I can tell you that my bike will now sit still in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in. Easy to get in / out of gear too. No more clunk going into gear either, just a sorta "snick" type sound. I realize that this is the way a clutch should work in the first place, but any of y'all that have ever had an old 4 speed tranny will know what I'm talking about. lol. BTW, the old clutch wasn't in bad shape, just wanted to put a new one in because I had the extra $$$ & everything else inside the tin primary was new.
For those of you that haven't really seen what the Tamer consists of I'll try & describe best as I can. You remove the pressure plate, clutch plates & steels, along with the three little hold down springs for the clutch hub bearing retainer plate ( these springs won't be used again as they are the main reason for the clutch basket movement IMO). Then loosen / remove the clutch hub nut & lockwasher. Toss the lockwasher as it won't be used again due to space limitations of the center billet aluminum spool in the kit. Then you install the "Tamer " assembly over the clutch studs. It has a nylatron lining & aluminum backing plate that go next to the original clutch hub bearing retainer plate along with a center "spool" of billet aluminum that the clutch hub nut uses to "hold" the clutch basket to .010 - .015 clearance, which is achieved through the use of provided shims. I added some blue lock tite when tightening the nut to 55 ft. lbs.  Due to the nylatron lining & backing plate there is one extra steel plate installed before installing the remaining clutch plates & steels. Then you simply adjust your clutch as usual & you're good to go. This kit practically eliminates the clutch basket from moving in & out while the clutch is disengaged. Well worth  55 bucks for my old Pan. let me tell ya.  :up:
not all who wander are lost...

rbonner

79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

dave_9113

Very good for 4 spds.  Easy and cheap upgrade.  Here's a shot (not too clear) of mine. 

CraigArizona85248

Dave, your photo is of a RamJett Retainer.  The clutch "Tamer" is a different device.  Both keep the clutch basket in place, but they do it using a different method.  I've used both and they work equally well.

About 4 years ago Phil Ross taught me that neither device is necessary if the engine and transmission are properly aligned.  The misalignment between engine and transmission is what causes the clutch basket to walk to the outside when you disengage the clutch.  Getting the alignment spot on can be a chore so these retainer devices are still very popular.

-Craig

FSG

rbonner

79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

twincamzz

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on March 14, 2010, 11:03:09 PM
About 4 years ago Phil Ross taught me that neither device is necessary if the engine and transmission are properly aligned.  The misalignment between engine and transmission is what causes the clutch basket to walk to the outside when you disengage the clutch.  Getting the alignment spot on can be a chore so these retainer devices are still very popular.

-Craig

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree Craig. I installed one of them alignment brackets on my 4 speed & have meticulously aligned the tranny to the motor & still had issues with this old 4 speed. My feelings are that the problem is a combination of the staggered bearings on the clutch hub & those three little crappy springs that are tasked with keeping the clutch basket from walking in & out when the clutch is disengaged. I'll admit I'm just a shadetree mechanic who likes to wrench on his own stuff, no world class thinker such as Phil Ross, so my ideas could be wrong.  :nix:
not all who wander are lost...

CraigArizona85248

March 15, 2010, 07:08:42 AM #7 Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:12:25 AM by CraigArizona85248
I actually had to do a bit of work on my transmission plate to allow me to get the transmission and engine aligned.  The bracket helps (I have one too) but in my case the trans mounting plate was not allowing me to get the transmission where I needed it.  I little (very little) extra clearance in a couple places solved that.

Definitely checkout the links posted by FSG above.  Very good info there.

EDIT:  OR... just leave your "Tamer" in place.  There is nothing wrong with using the basket retention devices like the Tamer or the RamJett Retainer.  Both do the trick very nicely without all the headaches.

-Craig

Erichill

I have the same set up on my clutch, and it was the best money i spent after so much frustration trying to get my clutch adjusted right. Takes out the play/wear. Bike doesn't crawl, slip or grind. Well it clunks some but when did it ever not do that?  I was actually pissed that no one told me about it sooner!
My two cents on the subject.
Eric