April 28, 2024, 09:54:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mikuni

Started by hotham, December 03, 2008, 02:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotham

I would like to put a Mikuni on my 93" shovel.  It has an S&S "G" on it now.  It runs great, but the "G" is a little to big for good low end power.  Rivera made a kit, but they don't anymore.  If I could find an adapter for the S&S intake manifold, that would work.  I may have to switch to a different manifold, don't know.  Ideas???????????

shovelbill

i found this site while surfin a while back, looks pretty good if ya got mikuni on the mind. i'm not a big fan of 'em but this setup looks real cool to me......i dont know anything about these guys accept for whats on the website.

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Harley%20Page.htm
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Lew

-It is now later than it has ever been before-

shovelkid73

J&P sells the adapter for I think 35 bucks that adapts the S&S to the 40mm CV and 42,45 mm mikunis

Flat Dog

Check with Zippers-just picked up a 42 brand new for $200. They are having a major blow out sale-sweet deals!

You might ask the cool guy that takes orders (forget his name), but I would say that the 42 would be fine for a 93" sidewinder shovel since those hemi heads just don't flow like modern heads.

Pzokes

I think that the 42 would be fine. They also use stock late model Harley cables. Stay away from the early 42's because they use special cables and the 40's because the slides rattle a lot and they use special cables.  The early style cables are available from Mikuni and from one aftermarket supplier, but they are getting harder to find.  My friend snapped a cable at Bke Week and the Mikuni people didn't have that stock Harley length in their trailer.  He had to overnight it from a supplier.  I think that the early model Mikuni can be identified by having the cable mounts on the left side of the carb, when looking at it mounted on the bike.....I should probably just walk out to the garage to verify that....naw, it still too cold out.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

ramcr913

Regarding the Mikuni-
I put 2 Mikunis on my wife's Beemer sidehack rig. They run great- easy starting, smooth idle, no flat spots... but the fuel consumption increased significantly. I would have thought the mileage would get better. Thinking about putting a Mikuni on the shovel, anybody with one installed noticed  a difference in fuel consumption?

bericuda

i knock out 48 mpg with a 42 on my shovel.and performance is unparalelled-i've ran them all.....

ramcr913

Bericuda-Thanks for the response. A couple of the Beemer forums said the mileage decrease is normal. Just wondered what the shovel would do.
Sure like the way the Mikunis run...