April 28, 2024, 11:35:40 AM

News:

76 xlch 4th gear prolem

Started by pappyfreebird, March 21, 2010, 06:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappyfreebird

chit i fire the ol girl n take a so called maidin run round the hood n plenty a power 1st 2nd 3rd ..well nawt rompin but havin fun then hit 4th shes fine  ..but ifn git on it in 4th she ll slip er kick outta gear (rev up then bang er clank n then in gear again..go easy n she ll hold..ony in 4th//1 st 2nd etc she ll hold under heavy power..so dont think its clutch slippin..ony 15 k on her ,,any idears besides runnin thru the adjustments n bent fork n worn dog..any this happind ta me n easy fix chit guys??? thanks paps

eglideic

From your spelling, vocabulary, and writing skills it appears you maybe almost graduated from the third grade.

Brrrap

Naw Pappy,It'll be nothing to do with the clutch basket/clutch pack. but it will be behind that and the "Trap door". Trust me, I'm no authority on the subject, but I'd still bet a beer the tranny needs a little help in there. Here's another forum that might be helpful:http://xlforum.net/index.html Good luck buddy, I know you're excited playing with that new toy. Keep us posted.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

pappyfreebird

thanks brrap..ill check it out
eglidecritic  yea i hear ya bro,,i were ridin motosickels when shoulda prolly been in school,,but i chure had lotsa fun...

Pynzo

Pappy-
Check the shifter linkage adjustments behind the sprocket cover, look for sloppy fit in  the linkage.
I only got a 6th grade edjamacation myself and I'm doin it right!

eglideic

Pappy I'm sure you think the method you chose to communicate is just funny as hell.
It's not.
It's very hard to understand as much as a foriegn language and I'm sure you have some very informative things to say, but if someone can't understand you, it's just a waste of time.
Please leave the comedy routines to pros and use just plain straight talk.

70weight

Quote from: eglideic on March 22, 2010, 09:30:50 AM
Pappy I'm sure you think the method you chose to communicate is just funny as hell.
It's not.
It's very hard to understand as much as a foriegn language and I'm sure you have some very informative things to say, but if someone can't understand you, it's just a waste of time.

I get a kick out of reading paps post. Best advice I can give you is if you don't like them, don't read them.
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

Lew

What?  This is pappys plain straight talk!
Iee cun unerstnds papps jes fyn...... :up:

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

paps might be worn dawgs (sorry dogs)Salty

Pynzo

Lewy-
Couldn't a said it better myself - readin Pappy's posts is better than a Mark Twain novel.

Brrrap

Quote from: eglideic on March 22, 2010, 09:30:50 AM
It's not.
Eglideic: Shhhh!  Easy now, careful. They'll be on ya,,,it's spelled "Foreign" not "Foriegn".
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

pappyfreebird

fug i rekon im blushin fellas...thanks ..i fill ya in when i find wud it is..really hopin its adjustment n done...she be a fun skootar ,,sounds really fuggan good too...deep throatee tune n evin starts now that figured out the check valve fell out ,,needed accel pump anyways...now she squirts awmost good as me...wahahahahaha..done werk now ,,no mo fuggan off ,,i hafta go home n look her over..

heavyhitter

Ditto 70 weight Eglide, this is supposed to be fun and informative what's the problem? I read Pap's  stuff and know precisely what he is saying.

nibroc

like salty said---dogs on 4th gear--course 1st ya gotta pull the tranny--most 'o the time it's dogs on 2nd--mine's been doin exactly what you described in 2nd for 3 years--I'm blamin it on an EVO

pappyfreebird

March 23, 2010, 06:36:20 AM #14 Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:38:57 AM by pappyfreebird
dang ,,well shes spot on wid the books linkage adjustments n still slip clank go,,so im gonna bet saltys on too,,dayum,,why nawt i find this in winter when needed sumthin ta do..now i want lift fer my udda sleds,,,had a homade clutch bar too,,wunnar were that is...thanks bruthas i preciate ya

BikerJim44

Quote from: eglideic on March 21, 2010, 09:31:43 PM
From your spelling, vocabulary, and writing skills it appears you maybe almost graduated from the third grade.
First off Pappy's been a part of this family for a lot of years and while he may be a colorful character with regards to grammar or spelling he's a hell of a good ol' boy. Since you didn't have anything to offer in the form of help then other than getting your name up on the net why bother? Just asking, Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

BikerJim44

Pappy, do you have a SM for that bike? If not I can get you all the specs for it. It sounds like you may have a spacing issue between the clutch gear and the main gear. The way I understand it from the manual is that you have to have at least 50% engagement on each gear.
I don't have the bible right here in front of me but if you need the tolerances and measurements between each gear set let me know and I'll get them posted up for you and anyone else. Spidey.

pappyfreebird

thank you spidey on both counts..i do have the book ,,i jus ain got the will!!!spring here fer me is a real ton of gittin chit runnin werkin n keepin it goin ,,so suks ta go home n do sum mo..since ain my main squeeze i ain in a hurry,,have a brutha whos shops goin real slow i mebee see ifn he wants a cheaper then normal job..ifn nawt i prolly pull it down..did notice my homeade clutch bar is gone,,mmmm...gonna make nuthar one i rekon..again thanks bruthas..ill fill in the blanks when i git er done

BikerJim44

Way cool Pappy, I do have the manual but another good reference is look at any of the big parts catalogs like V-Twin, J&P, Custom Chrome as they all have some great parts break down schematics. The only thing they don't give is the necessary specs for measuring the tolerances between the gears and so on when you are bench checking everything.
If you end up having to replace the bearings and race on the Right side of the case for the mainshaft you will need to do what I had to do to the Ironhead I've been working on and have that race linelapped so you may need to pull everything out of the trap door. If you do and you need to pull the main shaft bearing all you need to di is remove the two big snap rings that hild it in place. Be aware not to mix the snap rings up. They must go back into the same side as they were removed so mark them with a sharpie or something with reference to inside and outside. They are also orientation specific in that the slightly rounded side of the snap rings must face away from the bearing. I'm sure you've done enough of this to know that already but always good for a reminder. Good luck with it. When you go to stab the tranny back in the hole it's a good idea to have a second set of hands to help guide the mainshaft back through the bearings as they are installed loose with grease to hold them in place when you do install them. The one I was working on had to have almost .008" taken off the new race. Spidey.

saltcaveminer

paps i might suggest you check the mainshaft and countershaft endplay now and record the #'s.this will allow you to insert thrust washers(if necessary) when you reinstall the tranny(it will save you 1 step).also i highly recommend you replace the countershaft bearings(both) now!!.they are inexpensive but when they fail do great damage!!.over time the edge that holds the rollers in place wear out allowing the rollers to walk or bind(same thing happens to the cam bearings and the starter (xlh)take your time and all will be good.Salty

pappyfreebird

thanks bruthas..i gonna connect couple ol bros taday ,,ifn cheap enuff i r gonna wuss out n let one a them have at it,,trannys n bottum ends n course any machinin i know when ta pay the bettar mayun...made me new lil clutch bar,,but ifn i pull it ill fug round n try fix it... n too many fish ta fry right now..so eitha leave her fer now er support a closin shop...

pappyfreebird

any a yous bruthas wanna gimme 1500 she be yers..runs great..will run in 4th but ifn git on power shell skip outta gear,,ain looked too many irons in fires ,,jus had rack blow seal on vet so that took this week end,,but new n done..gonna let er go 1500 er leave sit tell next winta n be project then..