May 01, 2024, 05:07:50 PM

News:

72 sportster blowing oil

Started by oldironhead, March 22, 2010, 03:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldironhead

Hey to everyone out there....I am new to this site.....My bro-in-law told me about this site and maybe someone can help.
I got a 72 sporty 1000. I just restored it last year. Well everything thing but rebuilding the engine. I rode it around a little at the end of the summer. Saturday I fired it up for the first time this year and when I did it started blowing oil out the breather tube that is connected to right side case by the generator gear. I have asked 3 or 4 riders that I know but nobody has a clue. Any ideas would be great...... :banghead:     

Thanks

pappyfreebird

ol irons n ol shovels afta a spell of sitting tend ta blow (puke) oil on start up..so long as she stops afta the 1st fire of the season i wouldnt werry bout it..

y2kflhr

yup...mine puked every spring....

I miss my ole 72 xlch....

Lew

Make sure the crankcase vent isn't pinched or has critters living in it.  Make sure the oil return to the bag is ok also.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

theres a ball check and spring located behind the oil pressure switch. right side front of engine.if the problem does not stop you may need to remove the oil pressure switch and clean and reseat the ball.its a common problem that sometimes stops on its own when frequently starting the engine.sometimes just changing the oil will help.Salty

Lew

Yep...what Salty said...
Just wanted to add....welcome to the sight!  If you can't find an answer here...there just isn't one.
Besides the vent and return lines and ball check, it's possible a leaking/ blown head gasket could be the culprit.  Might go around the head bolts to make sure they are all snug.  Possibly do a compression check just for kicks.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

oldironhead

Thank you to all.....what a great site.....

I fired it back up and still did it.....I will be taking the check ball out and cleaning it this weekend......i will let you know how it turns out....

Thanks again

Maddog

welcome to the world of Ironheads   they all do that after sitting for awhile or all winter the oil leaks past the check ball in the pump an goes into the sump, an when you start it it has to go someplace so out the tube it goes,  Myself i wouldnt worry about it unless it does it all the time,

LONE WOLF

If all else fails you can do as I did on my 1960 Iron - install a shutoff valve on the oil line that feeds the pump. Then you can manually shut off the oil flow when not being ridden for a while. Personally I shut the valve off after every ride - just make sure to turn it on before start up. What I do to remind me is hook up a bungee cord from the oil shutoff valve to the fuel shutoff. This reminds me that when I turn on the fuel I need to turn on the oil.

Wolf
Fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared.

nibroc

that's kinda risky wolf--for the last 8-10 yrs. i've been draining the oil tank-i change oil for the start of the riding season anyway

oldironhead

Got everything cleaned up and no more blowing oil.....Thanks everyone......