May 09, 2024, 06:12:05 AM

News:

Which Brake Pads?

Started by GLIDERIDER-06, March 24, 2010, 05:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLIDERIDER-06

I was wondering what the best pads to run on an 07 FLHT that will not leave all of the nasty black dust everywhere. I see organic, kevlar, composite, ceramic. What is the best in your opinions? Thanks!

pddredduece

I like the z- brakes gold. Stops much better and very little brake dust.

HotRock

By all means......Lyndall Racing Brakes.....  :up:

02rk4cruzin

noliners

Lyndalls work great for me!
131 Roadking "No Replacement for Displacement"

x52gnr

I just put a set of lyndall z plus on my 07 Ultra along with harley floating rotors.front and rear.... :scratch: I am still wearing them in as I noticed at first the braking kinda sucked. I imagine they will get better and more responsive as they wear in ...Is this true?
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

splitting_lanes

Lyndall Z-plus pads.

x52gnr, if you're in the first couple hundred miles... it will get better

x52gnr

Quote from: splitting_lanes on March 24, 2010, 08:05:05 AM
Lyndall Z-plus pads.

x52gnr, if you're in the first couple hundred miles... it will get better

Yeah I am in like the first 50 miles...lol   thanks
2012 Heritage Softail

FLTRI

On the other hand, consider the OEM pads work right from the start, are readily available on the road, and work very well as compared new-to-new to any other pad.
Granted there may be better braking compounds but along with that comes differing compromises, as with break-in methods, including having to ride for many miles before best performance can be expected/experienced.
A little pad dust clean-up, like when washing the bike, is IMO, not a good deal-breaking decision factor for braking safety.
Just a different opinion,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Jeffd

Quote from: x52gnr on March 24, 2010, 08:03:59 AM
I just put a set of lyndall z plus on my 07 Ultra along with harley floating rotors.front and rear.... :scratch: I am still wearing them in as I noticed at first the braking kinda sucked. I imagine they will get better and more responsive as they wear in ...Is this true?

I am on my 2nd set of LRB z+'s with harley floating rotors and mine had powerful braking right out of the chute.  Mine did not require any break in either time.  Did you use brake cleaner on the rotors to clean any residue off before installing?

x52gnr

Quote from: Jeffd on March 24, 2010, 09:43:37 AM
Quote from: x52gnr on March 24, 2010, 08:03:59 AM

I am on my 2nd set of LRB z+'s with harley floating rotors and mine had powerful braking right out of the chute.  Mine did not require any break in either time.  Did you use brake cleaner on the rotors to clean any residue off before installing?

Uh  noooooooh
2012 Heritage Softail

chopper

Lyndall.
            Expensive........  and worth it!
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

GLIDERIDER-06

Great! Thanks for the info. Time to look into buying a set now!

truck

Quote from: GLIDERIDER-06 on March 24, 2010, 04:26:26 PM
Great! Thanks for the info. Time to look into buying a set now!

Be sure to mention that you are an HTT member, you'll get a discount.
And it's best to call them to place your order.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

dunbarton

I tried the Lyndal's a few times and found them to work well but had a very short wear-life compared to the oem shoes. Is that normal? One advantage may be that they aren't as hard as the oem shoes on the roters.

harleytoprock

Lyndall Gold+, no special break in, easy on the rotors, no dust, quiet, stops great!

FLTRI

Quote from: harleytoprock on March 24, 2010, 05:44:17 PM
.... no special break in, easy on the rotors, no dust, quiet, stops great!
Well it can't get any better than that!!!  :bike:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Skin

I'm going today to Dayton to pick up a custom wire wheel from American Wire Wheel for Pearls StreetGlide and I'm putting Lyndalls composite rotors and z pads on the wheel. I've known Paul, Pres of Lyndall for years and have used his pads on all our bikes with great results. I wouldn't use anything else.

Tsani

Quote from: dunbarton on March 24, 2010, 05:26:29 PM
I tried the Lyndal's a few times and found them to work well but had a very short wear-life compared to the oem shoes. Is that normal? One advantage may be that they aren't as hard as the oem shoes on the roters.

I would say something isn't right. I had to change my oem's out by 12kmi, I have close to 48kmi on this set of Lyndal's with more to go and I do deal with a good bit of stop and go traffic. YMMV.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

rawshog

143,000 miles on my 99EG Ultra.  OEM brake pads.  Replaced first set at 50,000 miles.  They were in such good shape I still have em.  Haven't replaced any since.  Plus, all of my miles are within California except for trips to Reno.

04 SE Deuce

Lyndall....good product......good service.....good people.   :up:

Bakon

wasting time

wholehog

I tried Lyndals once and had some technical questions....called them twice and didn't get confident answers....my OEM pads work fine albeit dusty

loc

I had the z and golds on my 2000 Heritage. I did not care for neither. I must say their customer service is great since they swapped the pads for me and I went thru proper break-in and added stainless cables etc but I still was not a fan of them. I went back to OEM's they had issues with OEM's but I believe that is all fixed now I would like to try EBCs since that was the only pad I would run on in my old dirt bike days.
08 Ultra---103/255---SE AC---2:1 SuperTrapp---Super Tuner---LMR-002---82:102

L-

Skin,

With the composite rotors you have to use the pad he recommends for them and I really like mine.  No more squeaks, no more swhoosing sounds, no more unpredictability......... great product, pricey but I really like it. I run a Brembo conversion on the rear of my 2001 FLHR and have been really satisfied with the performance.  I do run the Lyndall pads in the rear. 

L-