April 30, 2024, 10:07:08 AM

News:

OT: florescent bulb testing?

Started by Panzer, December 04, 2008, 07:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

December 04, 2008, 07:31:35 AM Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:01:50 AM by Panzer
I'm sure someone else has had this problem.
I have approx. 10 florescent bulbs (tube type, 4 footers) in the basement saved for when the kitchen light burns out.
The other day, it did just that.
Standing on a chairand stretching my arms to the limit, I replaced one after another tube to find one that lit.  @#%$&%
Another simple job, made hard.

Now the question:
Is there a way to test florescent tubes before installing the freakin bulbs.
Incandescent bulbs I can test with an ohm meter, but florescent?
I'm open for suggestions.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Coyote

I'm guessing you mean florescent bulbs, not neon? If so, the easiest way to test them is what you did... using a ladder, not a chair.  :wink:

Panzer

December 04, 2008, 08:05:56 AM #2 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:55:16 AM by Panzer
Man, I knew that was coming.  :embarrassed:
Ok, I changed it to florescent instead of neon.
The ladder was in the garage.........20 steps to get it and 20 back.
        Chair by table = 4 steps
                       PRICELESS !!  :smilep:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

ederdelyi

December 04, 2008, 08:20:24 AM #3 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:27:20 AM by ederdelyi
Actually, you can check for continuity with an Ohm meter across the electrodes at each end of the tube. It won't find a tube that has phosphor or leakage problems. Easiest to check with a known good fixture. Ballast and starters (if used) can be tested by substitution as well ... probably the safest bet for those not used to working with electricity.

EDIT: Spell check is all well and good ... where the Hell is the grammar check? :>)

seattledyna

get a cheap flor. fixture for about 7 bucks and keep it at arms length in the garage, test the lamps before you reach for the hard to get fixtures...Murphys law is in full effect on this job!

Panzer

December 04, 2008, 09:54:25 AM #5 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:01:57 AM by Panzer
QUOTE:
Actually, you can check for continuity with an Ohm meter across the electrodes at each end of the tube. It won't find a tube that has phosphor or leakage problems.

Yup, I know Murphy all to well.
Sometimes I think my wife's middle name is Murphy.........sometimes.

Grammer check?  :dgust:  LOL

Lew

There are portable fluorescent tube testers available to check them.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

ederdelyi

>>Then why the heck test it with the ohm meter if it won't find a problem?    I think I might be missing something here<<

The continuity test will tell you if the electrical portion of the tube is good. That's one of the things that can fail too. No excitation current, no ionization ... tubeee no workeee! :>) An air leak or other fault can't be detected with a meter so the "plug it in and let there be light test" is the best and easiest test. Ifeee no workeee and you wantem know why it no workee ... just funning with ya. :>)

verson22

Why save bad tubes in the first place? :wink:

Tsani

Ya can always put a megger on the bulb! Or go stand under a High Tension line and hold the bolb up. Makes em glow real nice.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

ederdelyi

>>Ya can always put a megger on the bulb! Or go stand under a High Tension line and hold the bolb up. Makes em glow real nice.<<

Might make more than your "bulb" glow! What's that smell?

truck

Touching the tube on an electric fence makes it glow too.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Panzer

:hyst:
Gee thanks guys, I knew when I was typing, that I shouldn't have asked the question.
By the way, when I get under the hi tension line, may hair stands up and I feel all fuzzy.  :dgust:

Ok, I'll come up with another to make you all laugh, just wait.  :smilep:

So much for testing !!