April 26, 2024, 11:58:00 PM

News:

drive chain

Started by hopcycle, December 04, 2008, 11:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopcycle

Got a basket case in.  Need to order new rear drive chain and can't find anywhere the stock number of links.  Any help?  Thanks

jmanjeff

If you have stock sprockets 21t and 51t  1971-85 is 530x110
1957  Sportster

xxxflhrci

J&P has a chain link chart in their catalog.  They show the following:

- XLH 58-66, XLCH 58-69  104 links
- XLH 67-87 106 links
- XL 79-90 (except 87 XLH) 110 links
- XL 70-78 (except Hugger) 106 links
- XLH Hugger 86-86 110 links

I have a 1977.  It has 106.

1972XlchBobber

How hard should it be to fit the front sprocket onto the shaft?  I have a new shaft and new sprocket, they are tight with one another, I can get it to start but will end up using some form of persuasion to slide it all the way on. 

What do you think?    Thanks, Mike

help-u2

tight/tapping on is a good thing...
using new tab washer also?

1972XlchBobber

Yep, new tab washer.  The manual indicates to use the sprocket to help align the external oil seal. They say temporarily slide the sprocket on to help set the oil seal.  I will try the old sprocket to see if it slides more easily.  Thanks, Mike

help-u2

many new harley parts made in china....so fit is not always quite right.
good luck and let us know

ROG

Cool the shaft with dry ice - Warm up the sprocket. Should go on easier.

1972XlchBobber

December 21, 2008, 04:57:02 PM #8 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:17:42 AM by 1972XlchBobber
One problem with heating the sprocket and sliding it onto the shaft occurs when the hot sprocket hits the oil seal and could cause the seal to warp and leak oil out, water in. Just have to be careful with the amount of heat.  Mike

1972XlchBobber

Speaking of drive chain, how many teeth on the front sprocket are you using?

I weigh 220 lbs and ride mostly back roads on semi-hilly terrain.  What would you recommend?

xxxflhrci

Quote from: 1972XlchBobber on December 28, 2008, 08:40:59 PM

Speaking of drive chain, how many teeth on the front sprocket are you using?

I weigh 220 lbs and ride mostly back roads on semi-hilly terrain.  What would you recommend?

I don't know what stock was on your bike.  On my '77 it was a 21 on the front.  I rode about 40k miles on a 22 front.  A good deal of that riding was at 65+ mph on the interstate.  After I got my Road King,  I quit long distance riding on the Sporty and put on a 20 tooth front.  That sure was fun with a healthy motor running red light to redlight, pulling grades, and running away from my friends on top gear roll ons.  The fun runs out once you start trying to ride the bike for extended periods at 55 mph.  With that said,  I swapped back to the stock 21.  It is the best for mixed riding, IMO.

help-u2

i am running a 23 front sprockett.  less work on motor...
but then with a stroker out to 77 with added bore to make it 80 inches i have no torque problems down low.  second gear wheelies still easy..  third gear also if i want...
no substitute for cubes...lol..
that said back when it just had head porting, cams, carb i put on a 20 and boy, in town was fun.  (late 1970's)the hot jap 4's got to view my tail light a lot...just buzzed like crazy on hiway.  but that was what my big shovelhead was for....
have fun....