May 03, 2024, 09:33:23 AM

News:

Ultra gas mileage dropped

Started by Tink 63, December 04, 2008, 12:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tink 63

The gas milage in my ‘07 Ultra has dropped all at once about 10mpg, for the last 8,000 miles.  Couple of months ago (6,000 miles) I asked my dealer to check if  it was wet sumping, they checked and said altho it was high it is within factory specs. That amount was 8 oz.  I installed new plugs, K&N A/F, and vented the A/F with 2 long hoses to atmosphere (there was some oil dripping from bottom of A/F).  BTW the plugs were burning nice, very light tan. I just ran down to Mexico and back and no improvement in mpg and I checked the crankcase and got 8 oz again.  Is this too much oil in there?  In the next couple of weeks I am gonna check the cam chain tensioners (47,000 miles on her now) so what should I be looking for while I’m in there? 

BTW, it is stock and I was getting as high as 52 mpg and now around 39 mpg.

frydaddy96

Winter gas?    My 08 FLTR has dropped mpg since Oct.  Back in early Oct. running turnpike between FT. Leonard Wood & OKC coming south with a headwind and doing 5-10 over speed limit, still got 39-40 mpg. The next weekend coming back to OKC same headwind same speed and now only got 35 mpg.  Went to Pensacola the following weekend, on the 2 tanks of gas between OKC and Shreveport 35 mpg, from Shreveport to P'cola 40 mpg and doing 5-10 over speedlimit.  On way back from P'cola doing back roads but still going 70 on some stretches and with soft lowers on, 40 mpg.  After we got on I-20 headed to Shreveport mileage started to drop. It is still down in the mid to low 30's mpg wise, rideing to work and around town on errands with soft lowers and these freakin' 20-40 mph winds.

Frydaddy

Tink 63

Actually this started in the summer months and since the plugs look good the only thing I can think of is wet sumping, unless someone has another thought.

kybagger

my 07 flht also drop in mileage this past summer. I first notice when I used some mid grade gas instead of hi test. I check everything I could of think of,a/c, plugs everything looked good. I did a self code check and found it had a po152 code which if I'm reading the book right it's a rear 02 sense reading rich. Bike ran same just the lower mileage.I'm taking it in the shop sometime this winter to have to checked by the DT and a download. check to see if it has a code and we might be on to something with these 07.

HDDOC

Althought no one likes to see 8oz of oil in the sump, its on course with all the other 07 up bikes.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

Tink 63

Quote from: kybagger on December 06, 2008, 07:18:36 PM
my 07 flht also drop in mileage this past summer. I first notice when I used some mid grade gas instead of hi test. I check everything I could of think of,a/c, plugs everything looked good. I did a self code check and found it had a po152 code which if I'm reading the book right it's a rear 02 sense reading rich. Bike ran same just the lower mileage.I'm taking it in the shop sometime this winter to have to checked by the DT and a download. check to see if it has a code and we might be on to something with these 07.

I thought of this first, but didn't get any codes and the plugs are burning nice? I'll check them again when I check the tensioners.  Thanks

Tink 63

Quote from: HDDOC on December 07, 2008, 05:35:37 AM
Althought no one likes to see 8oz of oil in the sump, its on course with all the other 07 up bikes.  Doc

I was afraid of that too.  I'll replace o-rings and hope for the best, thanks Doc