May 07, 2024, 03:33:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

septic tank ?

Started by jazzman713, December 04, 2008, 12:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzman713

im a family of 3 and we are all gone during the day any idea on how often you should have this thing pumped out im being told every 3 yrs

truck

Three years is what the EPA in Pennsylvania requires.
Before my sons moved out we were a family of four and three year intervals kept it working well for thirty years.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

zj1182

I have had a number of septic tank and leach field systems, never had a problem pumping every third year or longer.  I guess it would somewhat depend on the size of the tank and usage.  Mine were all 1000 gal which leaves a lot of room for solids on the bottom without them carrying into the drain and leach field.  Also, I didn't drain a garbage disposal into it, which would've loaded solids into the tank that won't break down.

From time to time (once a year or so) I did pull off the cover to the outlet chamber and made sure the drain wasn't getting ready to plug.  Just have to remove the crust floating inside the baffle if there is any that protects the outlet so it won't block the outlet..

zj

FLHTCUI05

I have had my house for 30 years.  Septic was pumped at about 15 years.  Man who pumped it said it really didn't need it then. It was working good.  I don't have garbage disposal going into system.  Was 3 in family. Son moved out about 10 years ago.  Guess I should check it before long.

Ape_do

How many bedrooms is your house? Your tank is sized based on the estimated usage. Are you the original owner? Tanks are also largely influenced by what they are fed. Lots of paper towels & garbage disposal use will fill er up quick. Pure organic sewage and the microbes could keep things happy for a long time. 'Lot of variables...

jazzman713

its a 3 bdr house and like i said no one is home during the day i have been doing this every 3 yrs like i have been told to do no problems. just didnt know if you really needed todo that this often thanks

x52gnr

I do mine every couple years, round here its about 60 bucks and its good piece o mind.....
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

jazzman713

they want 250-300 here in the panhandle of wv

Coasty

Now this a find thing every body is talking about crap
Coasty

motrhd

A coworker had his pumped out this spring and the septic man told him that his was the first that didn't smell !  Needless to say my coworker friend is very proud of this factoid.......................
NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

truck

Quote from: x52gnr on December 04, 2008, 03:12:00 PM
I do mine every couple years, round here its about 60 bucks and its good piece o mind.....
That's a great price, last year I paid $130.00 for 1,000 gallons.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Redleg

Quote from: Coasty on December 04, 2008, 04:22:39 PM
Now this a find thing every body is talking about crap
It's something we all have to live with....  :sink:

June2017

Pump it every 2 years

Dont use a garbage disposal

Dont use powdered laundry detergent

Dont flush harsh cleaning detergents from buckets down the drain as it'll kill of the microbes that keep the septic working

Diggs223

every 3-4, more often with a disposal, greasy foods. any more you risk compromising the system, especially if your land is on the long side of the perk 
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

x52gnr

Ahhhhh the SH@T that brings us together....lol
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Inda Win

If you don't pump it periodically it will plug up your drain field, which will then need to be replaced.  $$$ plus one hell of a mess.  Pumping it every three years or so is cheap insurance.

jazzman713

sounds good thanks i will do so

Tollbooth

Had it pumped once in 14 years and it did'nt need it.
A old septic guy told me to throw 3 or 4 blocks of bakers yeast in there once a year. He told Me that it will raise it's ability to break down the stuff. Cheap stuff, got it at Jewel Foods.
TB

ohio-rider

Road kill works well also to keep the witches brew perculating.

Old Crow

Quote from: ohio-rider on December 05, 2008, 09:37:59 AM
Road kill works well also to keep the witches brew perculating.

Guy who put mine in when the house was built threw a couple of packs of raw chicken in it to start it up.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Ed Y

10-12 years is the accepted norm for 1000 gallon tanks in south Mississippi if no garbage disposal and you feed it the "pacman microbes" once of twice a year. I also pour a quart container of "root killer" in once a year (Roebic product). This scenario has worked well for me and other for a long time. Septic tank guys around here all recommend that you do NOT use Charmin. Seems it doesn't work happy with septic tanks, at least that's what they say. People that use Charmin need the tanks pumped out every 2-3 years. I've never used it so can't say.  :teeth:

Ultrashovel

Three years is a good rule of thumb for pumping a septic tank. I was told that three years is a good time to do it since there won't be too much solidification. I've been in my home for more than 30 years how and the septic tank works great. I fooliishly went ten years once and the poor fellow from the pumping company had to shovel it out because it was almost solid in there. It cost me double to clear it out because it took him four hours and the guy wasn't even sure it could be cleaned out. He got it cleared but warned me that it should always be pumped while it's still mostly liquid.

After that, I go three years max. I also got tired of digging down two feet to find the the tank lids so I installed two of the green plastic riser tubes. They sit just at the level of the lawn. It looks like a rocket silo, LOL.

The moral of the story is, don't let it go too long or you'll have to replace the whole system.

Diggs223

make sure the ladys know toilet paper only gets flushed in a house on septic
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

Deye76

Does that Rid-X stuff help?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP