May 07, 2024, 07:41:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ride on tire sealant

Started by clay_mover, December 04, 2008, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clay_mover

Has anyone used this tire sealant, I was told it is a preventative product.... install it in your tires in case you do get a puncture up to 1/4 inch and it will instantly seal it.

http://www.ride-onshop.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=85
I'd rather be Judged by Twelve than Carried by Six!

Panzer

December 04, 2008, 07:34:25 PM #1 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:38:35 PM by Panzer
I've been in the mower service end a few years.
Great on tractor tires and commercial riding lawn equipment also.
I have never used it in car or bike tires because they say it will throw
the tires out of balance.
I can't prove that rumor, like I said , I never tried it in automotive.
I'm sure others will elaborate on this.
Just my .02

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

clay_mover

Thanks for the reply i'm still hoping to find someone that has experienced this stuff, I know a flat tire can ruin your day so this stuff would be nice if it actually worked.
I'd rather be Judged by Twelve than Carried by Six!

RKC03

I would also be concerned about the potential mess it would make whe tire is changed....your dealer/indy probably would have some choice words when changing tires  :wink:
RKC03

ST40

I also am in the lawn equipment business (20 years).   It's my understanding that it is supposed to help balance the tires with centrifugal force while riding.  I do know there are many different products available and most of them perform good for sealing punctures.   Most motorcycle wrenches do not recommend riding on tires that have ever been punctured and then repaired.  Also not all of these products are for high speed applications.  My opinion is that it probably can't hurt and may be beneficial.         Marty
Marty

ceduby

Once knew a guy that thought it would be a great idea for his car. He put the stuff in all 4 tires. It was ok till the winter. The stuff froze. Talk about a balance problem........
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

tinkerman

I get a very clear impression from industry people, bike mags, the tire industry etc. that any fix for a punctured motorcycle tire should only be considered a temporary fix to be used to get you to the nearest new tire. Some of these folk obviously have some liability issues / business interests that if you were a skeptical type, might lead you to wonder if they were covering their own butt by taking this position.

On the other hand I know riders with a fair bit of experience that say if a plug is good for a car tire then it is good enough for a bike tire and they run the thread down with the plug in there.

Personally I will turf a tire that has been punctured. I don't think the comparison between a cage and a bike is fair game. A flat on four wheels is much more controlable at speed than a bike and usually just means rolling off to a safe location on the curb. I had a rear go flat on me once on bike but it was a slow leak and felt the bike starting to wallow a bit and got pulled over before it was completely gone. It seemed to me at the time that the sidewall, even with the tire deflated gave me a fair bit of support.

As for the puncture proofing liquid, I would prefer to know that there was a tire problem rather than have it masked by the product.

Would it work OK?  Problebly. Would I use it. Nope.

Hope you get some feedback from someone that has tried it as it's good to get a feel for the full range of what the biking public feels is kosher.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

hdjax2

I've been running "Ride On Tire Sealant" in my Ultra (with laced wheels) for a few years, ever since I had a flat way out in BFE with no cell phone coverage.
I can say there has been no issues with balance, had it up over a hundred a couple times and it runs smooth.
But I can't say it actually works for punctures because I haven't picked up any nails or anything else for that matter since I put it in. However I would be concerned if my bike stayed outside in freezing weather but it's garaged when it's not being ridden. In general I would give it a :up:
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

Princess Butt

I knew someone who used something similar years ago on a Kawasaki. He had wire spoke wheels with tubes. When he picked up a nail, the sealant didn't seal the tire; instead, it leaked out between the tire and tube. When enough got in there, it acted like a lubricant and spun the tire & tube on the rim, ripping the valvestem out and he had an instant flat.

After hearing his experience, I won't use that stuff in a tire, tube or tubeless. I carry a plug kit with me, however. I've only plugged one tire in all my years of riding, and it held up fine.

I'm not saying this particular brand of sealer is a problem. Just be careful of what you use, and how much you rely on it.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

ST40

The products I have used in my shop (for mower tires) are not water based, therefore don't freeze.    I have used them in my tires on my FLH but as far as I know, have not needed them to seal a puncture.   I don't necessarily recommend them, but have used them with no problems.   I can safely say they work very well on small holes, but 1/4" holes never seem to be permanently repaired.         Marty
Marty

Dakota

I've used it for a few years in my road king.  Have noticed no problems and it washes right off when replacing tires so that is not a problem  I never had a puncture to test it but I do think it helps seal any small leaks around the bead so your air pressure will stay correct longer.   I recently quit using it as I started using Dynabeads for balancing instead of weights.
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.