April 27, 2024, 01:49:40 PM

News:

Rebuild CV Carburetor

Started by Billy56, March 29, 2010, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy56

I screwed up and left gas in my carb (CV)for seven months while my 97 Heritage was shipped over seas. I managed to get it started but it ran crappy at first. When it crapped out on the autobahn I had to tap on the float bowl to break it loose and than it ran ok, but when I would roll the throttle the bike just doesn't have the getty up that it use to. I want to rebuild the carb and was wondering if a standard rebuild kit would do the job. Also, I will be ordering from the net and was wondering who ( what company) would be a good choice.

Bill
Billy B

JBarrettB

Most of the time you can dismantle and clean that carb without any 'kit'. You need an accelerator pump diaphragm in some cases, but I'd take it apart first...see what you need to replace.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

96roadking

I bet all you need to do is clean inside the carb, float, needle, jets, venturies with a carb cleaner to dissolve the gum. It's probably just gummed up from the old gas breaking down. I doubt you need to rebuild it. You have to remember to store it for long periods with gas conditioner or this will happen again.

mokeypoole

you won't need a kit, just be carefull with the gaskets and o rings when disassembling.  Use compressed air and carb cleaner and blow every thing out.  Dont get the carb cleaner on the rubber orings or gaskets

ridemyEVO

Shouldn't be a problem without a new gasket. Make sure when you pull the top and slider out that you make note of how it goes back together. You can more than likely just give it a good bath with the spray type carb cleaner , letting it soak in where ever possible.
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage

CraigArizona85248

Like the others said, probably no rebuild kit is needed.  Just a good cleaning.  In particular, clean out the passage ways the feed the accelerator pump.  These passages are tiny and are often the first to clog up.  The best way I've found to do this is to buy one of those $20 1-gallon cans of carb cleaner at the auto parts store.  Totally disassemble the carb and put all the parts in the basket and let them soak in the carb cleaner.  Give it several days to do the work and you'll have nice clean passages.  Using compressed air to blow things out can sometimes lodge dirt and deposits even deeper in the passages.  I'd just do the "slow soak" routine.  You need to soak both the carb body and the bowl (the bowl has the accelerator pump passages built in).

-Craig

Billy56

Okay, Thanks guys. I will give it a good cleaning.  I should have know better than to leave gas in the carb. But with my major more it was one the things that got overlooked  Thanks again.
Billy B

harleytoprock

Does the accelerator pump circuit have any check valves?