May 03, 2024, 01:29:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Progressive 440 vs. 412's

Started by L-, November 02, 2008, 07:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L-

FLHR over 80,000 and nearly 8 years old now.  Need some really good data on which would be best to go with or perhaps another brand.  I ride two up on occassion and loaded also.

Jeffd

I don't have a direct comparison but can tell you the 440's work well for me.  I have an 04 flhtc with 65,000 miles and I think I have about around 30,000 on 440's.  Much better than stock.

Arrowsmit

No experience w/the 440's, but I'm running 412's w/standard springs & the ride is way better'n stock. I wish I'd gone w/the heavy duty springs tho.

VicW.

rking1550

I've got the  12" 440's on a flhr for one season far better than the stock and HD's low profile I ran for few years.
I bought them used not really sure of how many miles were on them and their still much better, when I fell its time I will replace them with another set or maybe send them to progressive to get rebuilt a nice feature of the 440
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

texaskatfish

So - what does one do with all the air lines etc if the stock shocks are swapped out for progressives? Just yank and toss em in the trash?
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Coyote

440's are great. I yanked out my air lines. Some leave them in so they can put the air bags back if and when the Progressives need to go back for a rebuild.

nome

this is plaguing me also, have decided to go with 412s due to cost and the fact that I have over 50K on my FXD now with stock so surely the 412s will get it done.  Thing is the HD vs standard spring, as when I ride two up it is very heavy indeed, but I would hate to take a pounding riding solo~~nome

texaskatfish

I'm thinkin I need to find someone with progressives already installed and somehow persuade them to let me take a test ride.
What's 'incredibly better than stock' to yall...................might just feel too mushy to me - I've always preferred a fairly stiff suspension set up. I just have no real time 'data' for comparison of stock HD air vs. aftermarket..........
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Arrowsmit

Quotewhen I ride two up it is very heavy indeed

From my experience I'd say go w/the heavier springs. Wish I hadda. OL & I together weigh around 400# & the ride is good but bottom out a little too often w/the standard 412 springs at max setting. Think I'm gonna see what Progressive will charge me to do the ole swap-a-roo this winter...

VicW.

crazy joe

Has anyone used Progressive air shocks? ( like the stock shocks)

FLH124

November 02, 2008, 10:31:40 AM #10 Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:05:59 PM by FLH124
Hey guys instead of the 412's are we talkin 440std or 440HD?
thx, sj

Dynawhite

I have 412's, standard spring, on my '03 Dyna. Nice comfortable ride and I'm just over 200#. It is my understanding that Progressive tends to recommend the lighter spring than the heavier (probably because they get more returns on heavy duty) if you are close to the weight limits specified. Call them, they are available to make a recommendation.

tmsimmon

when I was shopping for shocks for my wife's dyna... I was told to get the 440, that they had a lifetime warranty the 412's don't.

Sailor285

I've had the 412 HD's and the 440 HD's...wish I bought the 440's first time around!!!I put 85K on the 412's and have 8K on the 440's!!!! Love the 440's!!! ( 05 e glide and 08 Road Glide..both with lowers and tour pack)

Dan

Ghost Rider

I just put the 440's on my Road King earlier this year. I chose them because:

1. Good reports here
                         2. Lifetime warranty
                         3. Higher odds that progressive will be in business to continue
                             to back the warranty.
                         4. Adjustability

I like the way they ride so far.

bubbarosa

When I installed the 440HD on my glide the wife noticed within the first 5 miles that life was much better on the back.  Never tried the 412's  but the 440's well worth it.

Coyote

I bought the 440 Stds for my 07 Ultra. Even one up I was bottoming out with a full preload. I sent them back and had the springs changed to HD. They are perfect now. Only need a light pre load and they ride great. JMO but go with the HD. -Keith

L-

Thanks.  Looks like 440's get the vote.

Bakon

I run 440hd on a Streetglide. Much better than the HD lowered ones it came with stock. Went with the heavy duty because I was border line between two up and single rider. Figured heavy one with no preload better than light one with it cranked down.
wasting time

Ironpig9

I recently bought an 02 RK with 412s on it (low mileage). I didn't like the 412s. They max out at 225 lbs which pretty much shuts out riding 2 up. I went back to the HD air shocks (but I bought the RK classic shocks which are 12.25 inches as opposed to the stock 13 inches). So far the air shocks are doing great (by the way, the RK classic shocks can run up to 50 psi as opposed to the stock RK Standard ones which hold only 25 psi).
Good luck. Poorly performing shocks stink!

Ironpig9
"The road goes on forever...."