May 07, 2024, 04:17:46 PM

News:

Advice on Softail lowering shocks

Started by aal, December 04, 2008, 07:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

In the past, I've used the Harley softail lowering shocks, which were ok, and didn't lower the front.  I'm thinking about the Progressive shocks now, which I understand are adjustable, and can be lowered lower than the HD shocks.  Questions are, should I go lower than the HD shocks, and if so, should I also lower the front?  Also, can the front be lowered as desired, or is it like a 1 inch set lowering, with no means to adjust exactly how much its lowered?

moose

just a word of advice you will decrease your turning abilities by lowering your frame. You would be better off getting a lower seat if the hight is the problem.

If you want to lower to look cool thats another story as long as you don't want to ride alot.

jmho
Moose aka Glenn-

ToBeFrank

Quote from: moose on December 05, 2008, 03:29:32 AMIf you want to lower to look cool thats another story as long as you don't want to ride alot.

Bah! Not true. I lowered mine front and rear. Can I lean it over as much as my friends can? Nope. Can I still ride as much as they do? Yep.

aal

alstar2

why not buy the lowering kit,instead of new shoxs?they just give you longer
adjusting bolts.then if you don't like it you can put it back to stock.much cheaper.
Al

Coff 06

Lower the back,raise the front,no dragging issues!      Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Wingnut

Use a lowering kit and use your stock shock. Around $40.00 (Arlen Ness)  Pick up a spaner wrench from the dealer to adjust the ride of the stock shock to keep from bottoming out.  Under 10 bucks.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

fxstbob

The front lowering kits can be adjusted by using longer or shorter topout springs. For example, the white bros. kit includes a 2 in. spring which by itself will lower the front 1.25 in. or can be used in combination with the stock .75 in spring to lower a full 2 in.

I've found that lowering the rear 1 in. with the lowering kits to be an allright compromise, any lower and you have to set the preload so high to keep from bottoming that you have a very harsh ride. IMO   

flstf

if you lower both front and rear, you may need to use a shorter kick stand, if you only lower the rear you probably wont need a shorter stand,,??

FatJohn

I did the lowering kit.
I like the look but the first ride out I got into a turn like I normally do and my floorboard started folding.
I don't lean as much. Now just the center of the tire wears.
John

Faast Ed

December 06, 2008, 05:16:38 AM #10 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:20:23 AM by Faast Ed
QuoteQuote from: moose on Yesterday at 05:29:32 AM
If you want to lower to look cool thats another story as long as you don't want to ride alot.

Bah! Not true. I lowered mine front and rear. Can I lean it over as much as my friends can? Nope. Can I still ride as much as they do? Yep.

I had a few lowered softails. Scraped the floorboards often. (Not really a big problem, they have some give).
But the ride was stiffer too. Last two softies were left stock height and I truly appreciate the softer ride.

I will always miss the lowered 'look' though!

Quoteif you lower both front and rear, you may need to use a shorter kick stand, if you only lower the rear you probably wont need a shorter stand,,??

Mine were lowered front and rear and I did not have to shorten the kick stand. 
Now on my 08, I might would have to, this bike just don't lean as much on the stand as the older ones did. (I hate these new stands). I don't trust it like I did the others.
≡Faast Ed>

hogmandon

I used the progressive adjustable shocks and started with 1" lower and ride was real nice. l went all the way down and it looked good but the handling went away around town and it did bottom out. If you drop the rear more than an in you might want to drop the front.  IMHO 

HDSlicer1

I was wondering about lowering my 2008 nightrain with that arlen ness kit about 1 inch in the rear, but was not sure if it would bottom out with a passanger. Any help would be great!  :pop:

mtnmotorrider

Don't know what year your bike is but I put Progressive lowering (-1 1/4") rear shocks and Gold Race fork springs and cartridge emulators on my '91 FXSTC and rode that thing all over the western US for several years.  It handled better than stock, took the bumps and pot holes WAY better than stock WITHOUT BOTTOMING, leaned as far over as I had the guts for, and looked real bitchin'.  I didn't have to shorten or bend my jiffy stand either!   :up:
I like most dogs better than most people.

HDRDR

December 06, 2008, 08:56:40 PM #14 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:04:00 PM by HDRDR
I dropped mine from stock to 1 1/2 inch lower with HD kit :smiled: looks good and no problem here...pics are worth a grin, so here is a pic :smiled:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

aal

HDRDR, is that lowered front and rear, or just rear? 

Don D

No need to change shocks
Ness kit works and allows the height to be set by you at your own level. Not expensive and if you want to go back to stock that is just an adjustment away.