May 07, 2024, 05:50:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ignition Switch removal to replace lower legs 08 Ultra???

Started by MidKnight, December 04, 2008, 11:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidKnight

Changing the lower legs on an 08 Ultra to chrome and as part of the process, the repair book has me
removing the ignition switch... I'm not tracking the purpose of this... I understand taking parts of the fairing off... head light etc. etc..
got it.... but is there something that the switch does other than lock the forks that it needs to be removed???

Any clarity on this would be appriciated...

smoserx1

On the older models you needed to remove the switch knob (the part with the lock) to remove the fairing cap.  That would give you access to the top fork cap bolts, and these need to come off if you are removing the entire fork assembly.  However, I would swear I heard this was not necessary to remove just the legs--that you could do that with the forks still attached to the motorcycle.  I haven't done it on an EG, but I have had gold wing forks I have taken apart, and I believe you could have done it that way on those if just the lower legs needed to go.

MidKnight

Thx for the insight... I guess I'll find out for sure when I finish reading and start doing...

x52gnr

It keeps you from getting the fairing cap off which keeps you from reaching the upper fork slider top bolts out which keeps you from removing the fork sliders/tubes.....
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

HDSlowride

You can remove the forks on an EG without removing the ignition switch and cap (as well as the handlebars) but it does make it a lot easier to get to those top fork bolts.
'07 Ultra Classic

waskier01

It's the re-installation of the sliders' upper bearing.  The cowbells(bolted to bottom triple tree) block ability to re-install the upper slider bearing, so you have to slide the fork stancion tube down.  If you can get the upper bolt off without removing the accessories, the stancions can be lowered and sliders installed.  If you pull the fairing, inner fairing cap, and shift the inner fairing, pulling and re-installing the fork legs is considerably easier.  Personnally, I believe shifting the inner fairing is less hassle than working around it.