Is Mikuni 48 carb body the same size as a 45 or 42?

Started by Reddog74usa, December 05, 2008, 01:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I'm trying to find out if a mik48carb is the same size as the 42 or 45 with the only difference being the veturi. Or is the whole carb bigger? TIA, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

simondyna

http://www.mikunioz.com/hd_hsr42-45-48.htm

Quoting from the page...."HSR48 is slightly larger than either the HSR42 or the HSR45. It is taller and the spigot (engine side) is larger in diameter. This may result, with some installations,  in interference problems with chassis parts"

I looked at putting one on my 124" but went with a super D in the end.

mayor

December 05, 2008, 03:13:04 AM #3 Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:18:23 AM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
RD,

check out Carb Shoot Out 3: CV40, CV44, HSR42, HSR45 (by B Woltz) and The Carb shoot out 1: CV40, CV51, HSR45, HSR48, Super "E", "G", and "D" (by B Woltz) located in the Tech Tips  section.  Bruce did a very comprehensive study on carb sizes and CFM flow rates.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Reddog74usa

Great info on the size and flow of the 48. Was hoping to find someone that has one on a FXR as I don't want to get one if I can't use it. The 48 seems the way to go if it won't fit I'll have to go with the bored out G.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Admiral Akbar

Depending on on the manifold, I bet it's a tight fit...  If you believe what that carb guy says there is only about 2-3% difference in flow between the HSR48 and a bored out G.. I think to see more you are going to need a bigger manifold then 1.8 inches... Max

Reddog74usa

I would be using a Ultima manifold on the 127. Since there's such a small difference between the two in flow I may just go with the "G" to avoid fitment problems but I really like the tunability and feel of the mikuni.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

FSG

December 06, 2008, 04:10:24 PM #7 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:59:45 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
a poor mans comparison  :teeth:

GoFast.....

Here is the short manifold that goes on the 48. Now if I can just Find My brand new 48 in my house. Can you beleive I miss placed it :angry:
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Reddog74usa

Go fast I'm aware that the venturi is lager. hope you find the carb.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

GoFast.....

Quote from: Reddog74usa on December 06, 2008, 06:00:56 PM
reddog the whole carb is bigger

Admiral Akbar

December 06, 2008, 07:27:24 PM #11 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:29:17 PM by MaxHeadflow
Quote from: GoFast..... on December 06, 2008, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: Reddog74usa on December 06, 2008, 06:00:56 PM
reddog the whole carb is bigger

Yep a whole bunch..

Max

Reddog74usa

Looks like it's an S&S. I'll send one to John Sachs and have it bored. Thanks for the replies
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Reddog74usa

Just when I thought I had it settled I found someone with a 48 mik on a 00 FXD. Carb fits with no problem. Bike has stock frame and stock tank.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rigidthumper

There is a product known as a "fastback" or "raceback" that allows the Mik 42/45/48 to be used with the S&S manifold- it makes the carb stick out another 1/2 inch, and you can use S&S spacer blocks, which can help with intake tract length tuning as well as fitment/clearance. Look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Mikuni-Hi-Flo-Carb-Back_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ35574QQihZ002QQitemZ120317421000
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Reddog74usa on December 08, 2008, 01:46:03 AM
Just when I thought I had it settled I found someone with a 48 mik on a 00 FXD. Carb fits with no problem. Bike has stock frame and stock tank.

I've not tried to fit a 48 to an FXR/DYNA.. I think that they are a little shorter than a CV51.. Which I know won't fit using the G manifold and a spigot adapter.. I'd think that if you used a 48 it might fit with the raceback as Robin says.. With the ultima manifold it might be better.. One thing that I'd be concerned with is the top motor mount.. On the custom app I had the mount was close to the carb and I ended up spacing the carb out some.. I didn't have any clearance issues with the tank though.

Max.

Reddog74usa

Bruce, according to the guy that had one on the FXD he had a G manifold with a mikuni rubber flange adapter with the mik48. I may have to use a button head bolt on the top mount.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

GoFast.....

I think this is it and if you want to buy this one I will sell it to you

dynajohn

Is the inlet OD the same on a Mic 45 & the 48. I need a velosity stack and air cleaner for my new 48 Mic. I need the best flowing filter assembly currently available for this carb to be used on a 03 FXDX. Any input??

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?