May 02, 2024, 05:43:52 AM

News:

TC Oil Pumps

Started by HCC, November 02, 2008, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCC

A general discussion on the stock TC oil pump. Just wanting to see what others think about the stock unit vs other brands. We have had great success with the TC in all of our modifications. We had recently two that baffled us until we looked at the oil pump. We had two similar TC 06 touring bikes, that got similar modifications. The only problem was that they were consuming oil and running not so great. HP/TQ numbers were down and not were they should be. We know about the correct procedure for centering the oil pump and that was performed. We found that the return side of the pump was not working correctly. Over 10oz of oil in the crank case side. One had 16 and the other had almost 32oz. We have since recentered the oil pumps and added the S&S oil reed breather to both engines. So far so good. Engine HP/TQ numbers are were they were meant to be and oil seems to be staying were it is suppose to be. Let us know any experiences or problems you may have on this oil pump setup.

Tattoo

Im running the stock oil pump with a Zippers bypass shim in my 2006 streetglide. Bike runs great with good numbers 106HP- 106 TQ.
I might go with the 07 & up set up with my 103" build still undecided.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

tdrglide

I'm running a stock 03 oil pump with a delkron support plate on a 110" build. It seems fine. I've never pulled the case plug, but motor has broad flat torque curve

fxstdavew

The stock oil pumps work fine as to why you had a problem with those two it hard to say If you only recenter it then it must have been out or possibly there was a problem with the o ring and loosening the pump to recenter it than re torquing it let it seal. I don't see where the S&S read valve solves any problems and may only provide a bandaid fix . This is for pre 07 set ups. The newer one have been known to have some sumping issues with no known fix.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Tattoo

Quote from: fxstdavew on November 02, 2008, 02:45:11 PM
This is for pre 07 set ups. The newer one have been known to have some sumping issues with no known fix.

You mean some of the newer oil pumps hare having sumping issues??

fxstdavew

November 02, 2008, 03:27:16 PM #5 Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:14:30 PM by fxstdavew
It's not known if it's a pump problem or case issues no one has solved it. A while back Mike Roland was working on the cause of this. It's not all of them but the few that had issues. Had low hp#s as compared to the same builds on pre 07 ones. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with retro fitting the 07 pump and plate to earlier models. The ones have done this are happy with it.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Tattoo

We had a 2007 113" doing the same thing, very interesting...

Thanks for the info.

Kleetus

A friend recently purchased a new 2009 Ultra Classic that was sumping right off the showroom floor. It ran like a dog until they figured it out. They tore into the cam chest (per the owner) but I'm not sure what they did after that since the new pumps don't use an o ring.
What ever they did it's fixed and runs much better.

Kleetus

snoman

O.P. said " general discussion on T.C. oil pump " ,so, just wondering if I can throw this  in here .
  I plan a top end , cam , 95" build this winter. Is there anything I should be looking for , upgrading , or replacing in a stock '02 oil pump. {works fine}.  Will check all clearances , O rings per S.M.  Possibly add by-pass spring or shim unless advised not to .
   New board is rockin'
        sno

x52gnr

Quote from: Tattoo on November 02, 2008, 08:02:36 AM
Im running the stock oil pump with a Zippers bypass shim in my 2006 streetglide. Bike runs great with good numbers 106HP- 106 TQ.
I might go with the 07 & up set up with my 103" build still undecided.

I am getting ready to install the shim when I change cams, what did you notice with shim? Oil pressure?
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

HCC

Be careful putting in the higher oil pressure spring. If your sumping, it will increase the problem. These gerotor pumps are built for volume and not pressure. But they don't make a volume gauge so you get a pressure gauge and a 5psi idiot light on your dash. What we are talking about in this discussion is the centering of the pump when it is reinstalled. The orings are pretty hard to screw up on the installation.

twincamvficustom

Take a look at the S&S pump.  It's a bit spendy but if your considering doing gear drive, you could do the S&S pump at the same time.  The S&S oil pump uses different cams then the regular gear drive ones.  I get 28 psi hot.

02FYRFTR

November 03, 2008, 09:23:37 AM #12 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:30:14 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Quote from: twincamvficustom on November 03, 2008, 09:17:31 AM
Take a look at the S&S pump.  It's a bit spendy but if your considering doing gear drive, you could do the S&S pump at the same time.  The S&S oil pump uses different cams then the regular gear drive ones.  I get 28 psi hot.
Cost for the S&S setup with special cams that must be purchased and can only be used with S&S pump is more than pricey over $1300.00 and cam selection limited to S&S grinds only.  I have installed six or more of the new style SE  pumps and plates over the past year and no problems, less than 350 for the pump and plate and unlimited cam selection either gear or chain.

Tattoo

November 03, 2008, 03:53:07 PM #13 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:05:30 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
 "I am getting ready to install the shim when I change cams, what did you notice with shim? Oil pressure?"

I noticed a little higher oil pressure at a idle, but no sumping at all.

Billy

The shim or the spring would have no effect on the scavenge side of the oil pump.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention