May 09, 2024, 06:55:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need a little help with Seat Of Pants SERT Tuning

Started by Tsani, April 03, 2010, 05:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsani

Not trying to beat a tuner out of a living, just out of work for a year now and just don't have the funds to get to Blackhills until I get back to work and catch up. Not crying poormouth either, my bike is my transportation and I can't afford to screw it up (of course if I do screw the pooch, then I will have go 95 sooner than later). Don't need charity either, I pay my way, alway did, always will. So I have been doing this Seat of pants. The bike is an 05FLSTNI, 88ci, Cycle shack Slip on's, K&N Filter, Andrews TW26N cams. I typically run 92 to 93 Octane gas which can have 10% ethanol. The map I am using is the 127HO103-B2.MT6 SERT map. I have adjusted the A/F table, Decell enleanment. Bike runs pretty good with sometimes only a slight occasional burble on decell. MPH is hard to nail down, I would say high thirtes, low fourties with occasional trips to mid fourties when on a long steady ride (less right hand movement  :wink:). My road speeds are usually in the 65 to 80 range. seems to me the MPG could be better but hey, it's a lot better than my pan! The problem I am having is what seems to be detonation that is really noticable in 4th gear roll on's, from about 60 to 80. Also in 4th or 5th gear, if accellerating and then back the throttle down do the stop rapidlly, I will sometimes get an exhaust pop, just one pop. I calculate the problem area to be in the 2900 to 3900 RPM range with the throttle in the 12 to 25 percent area, may be as high as 40 percent. Looking at the VE tables for what I think is the proper area , the numbers are in the upper eighties while the surrounding areas are higher (Factory settings, not mine). Looking at the Spark tables show the timing at 45 degrees in about the same area. So what would have the better chance at solving the detonation. adjust ing the VE numbers as I assume the cam is allowing a better VE or spark timing. I tried retarding the timing and I lose too much jump so I restored the factory settings. I don't think the mix is too lean, mostly because of that pop and the plugs are not overly white. Oil temps usually are around 180 on days in the seventies and around 225, maybe as high as 250 in high eighties, into the nineties or heavy city traffic. Can anyone help me get my head around this until I can afford to get it on the dyno? Am I looking at it right? This all new to me, tuning a Linkert was alot easier, trust me.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier