May 07, 2024, 06:34:18 PM

News:

Legend air ride question...

Started by tireater, December 05, 2008, 08:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

I have a friend who wants to give me a legend air ride system off his totaled 07 Road Glide....Will it fit on my 05 FLHT...
Is there anything bad about the system...My stock bagger shocks ain't anything special...Thanks
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

TXChop

They should fit i dont think they changed anything from 05-07. I have had them on my 05 for almost 2 years i think and have loved them. They take a little seat time to get used to where you want the air set to. They make a gauge now, but i didn't see the need. Nice kit...$$if you have to buy, buy the price your getting is always best!

FLTRI

If you do get these and install them, since you are getting them for free you should not have a biased opinion.
It would be nice to do back-to-back comparison using his 07 stock shocks (yours are prolly worn out by now). Then if you do a back-to-back comparison (known good condition stock shocks vs Legend) with road, curves, and bumps, it will mean a bunch more than someone replacing worn out stock shocks and report the bike feels better....bad comparison.
PS - Same goes for tire evaluations, BTW
Looking forward to hearing,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

TXChop

Bob, the shocks cant be compared to easily IMO. I have an 05 FLHTC and have run stock 13', hd low profiles, progressive 440's and finally the legends.(my bike has a total of 18,500 miles, so none were worn out). All 4 gave the bike a very different feel. Some too soft(stock) Some too stiff and me finally settling on the legends. The legends i like as i can set a firm ride for solo runs and when the 105lb wife jumps on back i can set it to be very cushy. But i like the ride different than most, my dad hated the Legends FWIW on his same 05 bagger. He likes a fresh set of stock 13's every 2 years and is very happy. 

V24me

I don't think they'll work on your bike.  You better give them to me  :)
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

FLTRI

"He likes a fresh set of stock 13's every 2 years and is very happy."

Exactly what I do and have done for the past 12 years, although I have tried several alternatives but nothing gives as good of preload adjustment (air pressure) as the stock shocks when in good condition. And I can report the stock shocks have gone through many upgrades/improvements to spring rates and valving over the years so I always opt for the latest touring model shocks.

When I ride solo I only need 10-15lbs, and when I load up for freeway touring (passenger - 120lbs and gear 15-30lbs) I go up to about 25-30lbs - and when loaded, mountain twisting 30-40lbs.

The best addition to my bike was a compressor, valving, and gauge so I can make ride quality adjustments on the fly, which gave me the edge over pure air pressure shocks, IMO.

Also, having the adjustment gives an advantage to worn shocks because air pressure can be used to help balance bump dampening when dampening has degraded over time until I get a new set.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open