May 03, 2024, 09:08:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

+4 Degree gear

Started by dgv, December 05, 2008, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgv

I'm thinking of advancing my wt6 cam to bring the power on  a little sooner, any pro's or cons on this upgrade? Is it worth the change, any advice from first hand experience?

Don D

If you meant TC26 this would move the LC from 106 107 to 102 103. On paper it looks good if you have piston to valve clearance and compression not on the ragged edge.

dgv

the cam was a woods tw6 chain drive

garlow3

I have done this! I talked with Woods on the phone and he reccomended the +4 gear to be used with his TW6-6 Cam. It worked Great! and the exhaust note with my Rineharts was outstanding. Made a Ton of torque.

Don D

dgv

thanks garlow for your input, was your bike modified in other ways? had you ran your bike with out the advance gear before? I've been running this cam in a stock 88 for two years and it's been awesome, but the most power has been in the upper rpms, I'm doing a 95 upgrade and raiseing compression so I want the power at lower rpm's 2500-5500, I am using cp 9-5 to ones with zero deck 84 cc heads .030 gaskets I don't think I'll have any clearance issues? Any advice anyone

Don D

You solved your own problem without an advance key, more cubic inches. Now run it!

garlow3

I ran the Woods TW6-6 with the +4 gear in a otherwise stock 07 Bagger 96CI. Like I said, ran with Rhineharts and SE stage I air cleaner and a Power Commander. It really woke the Bike up!   

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: garlow3 on December 06, 2008, 06:26:01 PM
I ran the Woods TW6-6 with the +4 gear in a otherwise stock 07 Bagger 96CI. Like I said, ran with Rhineharts and SE stage I air cleaner and a Power Commander. It really woke the Bike up!   
That really bring the torque on double-quick.
Just installed same in an 08 RK. 100.8 ft/lbs, 81.8 hp, totally untuned, as we do not tune EFI here. Carbs, but probably going to upgrade soon.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

Might want to clarify the dyno used and if SAE or STD

Boris

I run Andrews 44gs with a +4 key. It dropped my tq down 300 rpms. Riding in the Rockies pulling a trailer it helped big time. 00 Ultra 95" 10-1 cp. 96hp, 104tq.

Herko

Say what you will about the SE255, but with it's profile have seen the 100 ft lbs (SAE) threshhold broken on 96 inchers 2007 & '08's.

Yes, of course it comes on early and ends early. But IMO works good for these applications and the riding desires and habits of these owners. Very satisfied feedback.

Who knows, there's better cam/advance gear combos that will be found to wake up the 07-09 bikes with an appreciably small investment for the performance gain.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.