May 03, 2024, 08:02:00 PM

News:

How to remove wires from Deutsch connector?

Started by aquaman, December 05, 2008, 10:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquaman

Trying to install the PClink communications wire on the Deutsch connection and I don'e have the special tool.  Is there something else I can use to remove the necessary wire from the connector?
tia,
steve
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

stro1965

Quote from: aquaman on December 05, 2008, 10:16:11 AM
Trying to install the PClink communications wire on the Deutsch connection and I don'e have the special tool.  Is there something else I can use to remove the necessary wire from the connector?
tia,
steve

I have a set of jewelers screwdrivers.  The smaller ones work well to get in there.  You might try the sharp end of a safety pin.

mrmike

Yup, What Stro said..... and I have the tool. lol. The back of your service manual will give you some directions on the diffrent connectors and how they come apart.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

aquaman

Cool.  I have the jewelers screwdrivers, safety pins, and the service manual.  Now I just need to find my beer mug and I'm set.  Thanks!
Will Rogers

2001FLSTC

When I bought my bike (used) the rear fender was bent (backed it into something I guess).  I found a new rear fender but when I was installing it I noticed the wiring harness didn't clip into the new one...no little "nail heads" to attach it to.  Had to buy a conduit (like a garden hose with adhesive on one side) from the dealer ans stick it to the inside of the fender.  This meant I had to take the plug/connector off of one end of the removed harness (8 pin).

I had a terrible time trying to get the deutsche connectors out of the plug.  So much so I screwed some of them up....had lighting problems when I reassembled.

I found out the dealer had all the connectors and the plugs for the harness.  Just snipped the end off and re-crimped new ones on and put into a new plug. Probably $15 for the parts and there was a similar crimper I borrowed at work (could probably use pliers).

Worst case...cut them off and buy new ones.....the dealer has them.   

aquaman

After consulting the manual and removing the locking plate,  I used a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver to flip up the tab that holds the pin in place for the wire I was changing and it worked like a charm.  Thanks for the help.
Will Rogers

Mike52

Quote from: aquaman on December 05, 2008, 10:16:11 AM
Trying to install the PClink communications wire on the Deutsch connection and I don'e have the special tool

I'm sure you've found out by now, but the Deutsch connector doesn't require 'special tools' to take apart, it is the easiest of all connectors to disassemble.
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

aquaman

Mike, yep I found that out the easy way...I checked the service manual : 0
cheers
Will Rogers