May 07, 2024, 01:29:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Piston ring question

Started by crazycalvin, December 05, 2008, 12:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycalvin

Got my pistons, rings, and jugs back on bike.  Put new head gasket on and when I was looking through the manual, I saw that the manual specifies which way each ring end gap should point.  I did stagger my rings about 135 degrees from each other when I put them on and payed attention to proper orientation (dot up) when I installed them on the piston but not were each one was pointing.  Is this going to be a problem?  I would rather disassemble now than later if it is a problem.  Thanks, Calvin.

ederdelyi

As long as the gaps don't line up and there are no rings that are "pinned" and need to be in a specific position you should be fine. They are gonna move around when you fire it up (some argue they won't) anyway. The amount of blowby attributed to ring gap is highly over rated, IMO. I typically run the end gaps at the "extreme" of the spec and still manage to get leakdowns that rival gapless rings.

crazycalvin

Thanks.  I figured as long as all gaps did not line up it would be okay; but needed to ask anyway.  Thanks again, Calvin.