May 07, 2024, 05:38:40 PM

News:

clutch mainshaft nut removal

Started by scoopfraser, December 05, 2008, 03:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopfraser

I'm having a rough time trying to remove the clutch mainshaft nut.  I do know that this nut is reverse thread...  I got the compensating sprocket nut loose but I'm getting frustrated with this clutch nut.  Any suggestions for locking up the rear wheel?  I had my primary apart a few years ago but can't seem to remember what I did.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

road-dawgs1

Use a piece of flat bar to put between the two sprockets and lock them.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

drhooligan

I'm no expert here but it sounds like you need to lock up the primary. There are a number of ways to do this. There is a locking tool that I don't have. Some guys simply shove a heavy rag or an old shoe in where the chain meets the sprocket. I recently read a post on another forum where a guy used (2) 3",  7/16" bolts with a threaded sleve in between to lock it up. Let us know how it goes. I'll be doing this job in the near future when I install the Evo Industries 30T engine sprocket.
2007 FXDWG 120", Hillside Stage 3 Heads, 10.6:1, TW777, V&H 2:1, HPI55, 5.3 g/s

Jim Bronson

Also, I think that nut requires high-torque. I've seen pix of guys using a long breaker bar to remove it.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

scoopfraser

Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I've slid the clutch plates off of the basket.  I think I may have figured out what I'm doing wrong.  I think I need to "re-assemble" my clutch so that the basket and hub are tied together.

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

tireater

I made this one out of 1/4" tread plate...it is 1/8" shorter now. They say not using the bar can mess up the primary bearing on 06 dyna...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

tireater

You can also lock the rear wheel up by putting in in gear and holding down rear brake...after you reassemble the clutch...I use elec. rattle wrench...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

FSG

QuoteThey say not using the bar can mess up the primary bearing on 06 dyna...

they do indeed ....... TT 212: 2006 Dyna Model Primary Drive Locking Tool

hdpegscraper

If you have an impact gun you shouldnt have to reassemble it. Just put on a work glove and hold the clutch hub with your hand, and zap it with the impact gun. Just make sure you use a glove in case you loose your grip.

scoopfraser

Thanks for all the replies!

Update...  Since I don't have an impact I decided to put the clutch back together.  Once I did that it was easy enough to wedge in the stair block and get the nut loose.  I had forgotten that the VPC needs to be removed and the oem hardward put back on.

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta