April 28, 2024, 11:46:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stupid question, easy chance to help

Started by Rags722, November 02, 2008, 07:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rags722

OK, here's the deal.  The other day I took the bike for a short (10 mile) ride.  When I went to start it, it sounded a little lazy, but it had been parked for a few weeks.  Seemed fine for the ride and guage was showing 14.5 volts the entire time.  Got home, put it on my Battery Tender, and it showed less than 80% charge for at least 1/2 hour, then stayed in the 80% to 99% range for a few hours, then showed a full charge.
So, when I went for a ride today ( now I'm parionoid the battery is due for replacement) I noticed when I went to start it the guage drops to 11.5 volts with ignition on and spots on prior to hitting the starter ( confirmed with a good digital DVM).  Problem is, I can't remember if it always did that or not.  I did confirm with everything off, the battery shows a nice 13.5 volts.  Could someone just wander out to their bike and see how low your guage drops by just turning on the ign?  Thanks.  Bike is a 2005 FLHTCI.

Rags722

Thanks.  You know how it goes beyond 60.. I've developed a bad case of CRS and thought it looked OK but couldn't be sure.  Battery is 4 years old, but I'd like to get another year out of it unless it gives me a kiss behind the ear that says "CHANGE ME NOW!".
Rags

texaskatfish

Just 1 Katfish's 1.25 (de-valued) 2 cents...............no guage here on Gracie the roadking - although I do make sure to never leaver highway 'spots' on when parking or starting.

4 year old battery / 1 glitch no matter how small = replace it!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/