How far to tear down to replace crank bearing?

Started by tomp, December 05, 2008, 05:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomp

Do the case halves have to be split to replace the left crank bearing or can this be done from the primary side without pulling cases?

I lost my stock bearing in my Fat Boy back in '04 and it's been running strong with the Timken conversion ever since then. I picked up a 2nd bike ('06 Street Glide) to be used as my cruiser and I just don't trust that stock bearing. I want to at least run the new SE Lefty bearing in the Street Glide at a minimum.

I only had 102/103 hp/tq in the Fat Boy when the crank bearing failed and took the entire lower end out (it now has a 103" with 120/120 hp/tq). The new Street Glide is going to quickly approach those same 100/100 hp/tq numbers and I don't won't that same problem here.

Admiral Akbar

ameagle13

If you are going to tear it down to there, then do the Timken conversion.  You'll be a lot happier in the long run since you have already lost one that way are are worrying about the other.

Good Luck,
J
Good Luck,
J

tomp

I agree J - I am a big proponent of the Timken crank bearing. I have been riding the Fat Boy with Timken as hard as it can be ran with 120/120 and it has never failed. That new Lefty bearing is probably only slightly better than the late style OEM junk.

les

Just to note, some time these big rollers can be a bit tough to press out.  The other day 250, then 350 degrees was not enough heat to have a 12-ton press push out the pinion side roller bearning.  I had to take it all the way up to 450 degrees to make it budge.

Faast Ed

If I were to do it, I'd research the places that you can send your bottom end to and let them do it. No worries about whether I get it right or not.
I'm okay with tearing the top end off twice if I missed something, but I have to draw a line somewheres! LOL
≡Faast Ed>