May 08, 2024, 01:43:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Whats killing Harley Davidson

Started by odotb, April 14, 2010, 04:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffd

I am purposely keeping my mileage low on my 2004 egc.  I only have 77,000 miles on it and will continue to try and only put 15-20,000 per year so that when I sell it I can at least recoup some of my money.  I figure someone will always want a low mileage harley. :smiled:

Bigs

In 2005 after not riding for 28 years I decided to get a bike, sorry make that a motorcycle cause I already had 3 bicycles. I always liked the sound of a Harley so I thought I might pick up a late model used Sportster for a reasonable price. Boy was I mistaken. The people seemed to want an arm and a leg for the used ones so I bought a new 2005 1200C. The Sportster seemed good but riding double with my wife was a little hard on her so I told her we needed a touring bike so it would be more comfortable for her. Also she didn't like the Sporty after it was modified to stage II. She said it took off like a rocket and was to loud. I found a good year old low milage 2006 RG. Like a lot of you guys I couldn't leave it alone, had to modify it. Right now it has plenty of power for my wife and I riding the hills and it will be the last Harley that I will buy, not that I have anything against Harley but I'm up there in age - over 70.
   Bigs

Jeffd

I was in looking at BMW1200GS' today and just for kicks I asked what my bike would be worth on a trade-in.  2004EGC that is immaculate only 77,000 miles and 0 issues.  The owner of the place whom I've know for several years and bought 4 bikes from asked how many miles and I told him and he hemmed and hawed and said $6500.  I was quite pleased to know that my plan of keeping the miles down have enabled it to keep its value up where I expected it to be.  I however did decline the offer as I know in a couple of years it will gain even more in value.  I am pleased as I only paid $16,500 for it new in june of 04. 

truck

Dealers don't like to trade bikes that are ridden. If I remember right they deduct $1000.00 for every 10,000 miles over 4,000 miles a year.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Glenn W

I think there's a lot of things going on right now, the market is full of "motivated sellers" trying to get whatever they owe out of a sale just to make the payments go away. Most dealers have high inventories and are selling many new bikes below MSRP so they really could care less about getting another used bike in the house. With all that going on, those 60K miles are going to be the deal breaker for most people. I wouldn't buy a Harley with those kind of miles for anything near what you'd need to get for it, pure & simple. Right now isn't a good time to try and sell or buy a bike for top dollar.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

truck

Another way to look at is that everything that was going to wear out or break has already done so on a higher mileage bike, less expense and down time to the new owner.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

mark61

Or is just about to wear out or break! How often do people change those sealed wheel/trans/clutch basket  bearings? Everyone changes the fork oil every year right so those fork slider bushings should look like new?

mark61

Glenn W

Quote from: trück on April 17, 2010, 04:28:45 PM
Another way to look at is that everything that was going to wear out or break has already done so on a higher mileage bike, less expense and down time to the new owner.
Possibly true, but even if they had a shoebox full of receipts I wouldn't care. Right now there are so many fire-sale deals out there on bikes with less than 10k miles that I simply wouldn't have any interest in a higher mileage bike. Nothing personal, have more than 2x that 60k on one of my bikes and I trust it just fine.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Scurvy

Quote from: Jeffd on April 17, 2010, 03:40:59 PM
The owner of the place whom I've know for several years and bought 4 bikes from asked how many miles and I told him and he hemmed and hawed and said $6500. 
You should have sold it for the $6800 I offered you awhile back, lol.
Ace test rode that beemer yesterday, good looking bike; but you know you should keep the EG and get the beemer anyways.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Jeffd

I'm afraid if I got a GS my poor EG would just be a dust collector and that would not be right LOL.  So I am getting a KLR instead.

panz4ever

Quote from: jmorton10 on April 17, 2010, 10:44:18 AM
I agree totally with the posters saying that kids don't think Harleys are cool anymore.

I remember in 1968 I wanted a Harley so bad I would have done almost anything for one.  I finally bought one in 1969 (a 1957 Panhead), customized/chopped it & rode/loved it for years.

Now, at my age (58) I ride a lowered customized (I do all my own wrenching & I have a TON of work in this thing) 04 RK.  I work at a car dealer & I can tell you, the old gray beards like me think my bike is awesome but our 20 year old employees have no desire whatever to own ANY Harley.........

~John

John...so when ya getting another pan!