May 07, 2024, 02:06:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Going to rebuild work bench and update garage

Started by wayzalot, December 06, 2008, 10:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayzalot

Looking for ideas on workbench.  Anyone have any pictures to share ideas.  Thinking about covering work bench with 12 guage galvanized.  I also am going to invest in a new vise. 
"My life is based on a true story"

Big_Bulky_RK

I purchased a 12 foot countertop from a kitchen wholesale house for about $45. I bolted a vise through the countertop with a steel plate on the bottom side, haven't had a problem with it and the bench cleans up easy.
This local company has a store where they sell scratched, miss-ordered items.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US

Sonny S.

I sorta went overboard but....
I used a sheet of 3/16 steel for the top. Bent a 3" lip down in the front and a 3" lip up in the back. Bench is 30"x 84".
Cleans up great, and then I wipe it down with WD40 or ATF.
Bought a heavy duty steel leg kit from Grainger. I won't get in to what's under the top...you'll think I'm nuts. Put it this way, the bench don't move.   :teeth:

apes

I got a good deal on some solid core door blanks that I cout to 30 inches wide and will be covering it with a sheet of metal for ease of clean up, I made the legs about 45 inches high so that I will not have to bend over to work in it, I am 6'3" so it works out just right.  I have a 2X4 for a back splash that I attaachd to the wall it is solid.  the high top makes room for  plenty of storage space under it on the floor and on a second shelf

PoorUB

Quote from: apes on December 06, 2008, 01:55:14 PM
I got a good deal on some solid core door blanks

Old solid core doors covered with steel make great work bench tops. My neighbor has a bench he made from some used good quality kitchen cabinets, and two solid core doors end to end, covered with laminate.
It is a really nice bench, lots of storage, and it ain't going anywhere!!

Me? I have a couple beat up industrial cabinet bases, with a chunk of kitchen counter top. I have been wanting to improve it, but I am too cheep!! I do have a separate welding table that I built out of 1/4" steel plate. 24"x48" wide, a couple pipes for legs. No paint so if I want to weld something right to it I will, and clean it up with a grinder when done.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No Problem

I USED 2, 36" WIDE 2" THICK BY 6' LONG SOILD WOOD HANDICAP DOORS WORK GREAT  SEE I'AM NOT THE ONLY ONE  LOL

mark61

December 06, 2008, 08:27:36 PM #6 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:56:41 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
I sorta went overboard but....
I used a sheet of 3/16 steel for the top. Bent a 3" lip down in the front and a 3" lip up in the back.

Dat aint nothin!  My bench is a 12,000 lb. table off a boring mill.   Yes that is correct-8 inch deep cast steel machine table 6 foot across and 12Klbs----6 tons.  Takes a bulldozer to move it.

mark61

Big Dan

A couple of years ago we installed new hardwood floors in the living room, dining room and hallway. The wood we used is called Cumaru (Brazilian Teak) and is supposedly the second hardest wood on the planet. I built a framework out of 2x6's on 12" centers, put a piece of 3/4"plywood on top and another down below as a shelf. Then I went over the top piece of plywood with the leftover Cumaru. I've invited many he-man-type friends to take their very best swing with a 4 pound maul, and nobody's been able to leave a mark thus far. Cleanup is also really easy, as it not only has a nice smooth finish, but it is also so dense that spilled liquids don't soak into it at all.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

mori55

Quote from: Big_Bulky_RK on December 06, 2008, 12:16:54 PM
I purchased a 12 foot countertop from a kitchen wholesale house for about $45. I bolted a vise through the countertop with a steel plate on the bottom side, haven't had a problem with it and the bench cleans up easy.
This local company has a store where they sell scratched, miss-ordered items.
Did the same thing and it is perfect , strong and cleans up great.

Erichill

I don't have any new suggestions for workbench top.  In addition to my 12 foot long work bench, I built a 3x5' bench that I have on metal casters from Home Depot.  Nice to have extra work space that I can move around,or worl on more than one project at a time which is often the case for me with work and personal projects.

I also built my outlets right into the underside of my bench for quicK access for power without extension cords getting in the way.

One last thing to remember is a fire extinguisher if you do any welding, brazing etc.

Have fun building.
Eric
P.S. I purposely do not have a phone in my shop.  When i get an afternoon to work on a bike or what not, it is my time!

bouncingVman

I did like a few others have already suggested. I used a solid wood door core and covered it in stainless steel. Pretty darn nice and clean up is a breeze. I went to a manufacturing place and bought some cull stainless that they couldn't use for 50 bucks. They even bent the front lip for me. The door core was free and so was the 2x4 frame.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

bouncingVman

"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

wayzalot

VMan  Thanks for the link to the old post.  I thought there was one out there.  The steel bench is the way I am going.  Stainless did not fit the budget but I talked to the Hutterites and they are bending me up some smooth galvanized 12 guage with a backsplash and rolled down front edge. I am using 3- 2x8's for the core. I got them salvaged from a old building. I have a power strip for the back.  The next thing would be to find a vise and a way to heat the garage.  It all takes time but its coming together.  Need to finish so I can get my winter bike work underway.  Maybe I will post a picture when done. Thanks again.
"My life is based on a true story"