May 01, 2024, 11:44:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Where's best place to get master cylinder and brake line

Started by surf, December 06, 2008, 10:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surf

Putting floorboards on a '94 fxstc and I have everything but the brake parts.

Evo160K

Goodridge USA in Indianapolis, In, was great to work with.  They sent a catalog, explained how to mock-up the lines and fittings using wire coat hangers, they fabricated the lines and shipped them directly to my home.  Good company.  Start with Tech Support 1-800-662-2466.

I used H-D master cylinders with Goodridge lines and fittings.

surf

Evo160K

Surf, since your adding floor boards, is it the rear lines that your asking about?

surf

Yes, rear brake line that my parts book shows 40957-87a and comes up at $24 on Chicago harleys web site. Turns out it was upgraded to 40957-87E @ $112,

Same thing with master cylinder, but not as bad, goes from 42468-87c @$85 to -87e at $114.

Evo160K

Surf, I'm not sure about this, but I believe when you use floorboards, one of the mounts it uses interferes with the fxstc style master cylinder which necessitates using a different style master cylinder, the one like on a fatboy for instance.  If I were making the change I'd check with the dealer and his parts books.  I suspect the fittings on the brake lines would screw-in/interchange, but the line lengths are almost certainly different.

surf

That's correct Evo, There's no way to use the fx cylinder. I might be able to get my hands on a '04 brake line to try out. If it bolts to the tranny where the brake lite switch is and still reaches the cylinder and caliper it may work. The late model ones seem easier to find. I'll bet some get thrown away.

If you buy a new cylinder does that get you everything, plunger, boot, bolts, ect?

Evo160K

Surf, as far as I know, if you buy the m.c. assembly, you get it all (maybe not the mounting bolts).  I believe the h-d parts book details what's in the assembly.  I may have an 04 parts book if you need to know something.