May 02, 2024, 04:25:31 PM

News:

sputter - sputter - then runs good.....help

Started by harleydavid21, December 06, 2008, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleydavid21

December 06, 2008, 03:45:08 PM Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:07:59 PM by harleydavid21
Hi to all: I have a 1995 HD W/G, stock Evo, stock carb, drag pipes. When I go thru the gears, the bike runs fine, but when I really get on it, in any gear, it sputters, then seems to punch thru to high speed and no sputter.
I don't think the carb has been re jetted. (Just bought the bike about a month ago), I did put a big washer butterfly type in the end of each drag pipe to give it some back pressure.
Do any of you guys have any information that you could pass along? Maybe you had this problem at one time. What did you do to solve the problem?
Bike runs good, but sputters at high acceleration.
Any info would be appreciated.
David
1995 HD W/G

HDdude5

Sounds to me like the carb diaphram is letting air by (torn). Let's see what some of the guru's come up with.
HDd

bobrk1

Check the accelerator pump, pull off air filter and look that you get a good jet of gas when you twist the throttle if you do then I say your diafram may be bad.

harleydavid21

I have been told that it might also be carbon build up in the cylinders. And really hard riding, with rolled on fast accelaration will blow the carbon build up out.
Have any of you guys solved this problem this way?
Thanks for all the info.
David
1995 HD W/G evo

harleydavid21

If it is running too lean, do I need to put in smaller jets?
If it is running to rich, do I need to put in bigger jets?
I am confused: about running lean or rich.
Would someone explain this to me?
Thanks for all the advice.
David
1995 HD W/G

ClassicRider2002

I know this is a bit off direction....but for  :teeth: you might check your coil wire connections......I know I am all wet....lol....but you never know.....it never hurts to make sure those are all tight anyway.....so just do it for grins....especially how these ole evo bikes have wire connectors with nuts on the back side of the coil....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

ClassicRider2002

Sputter Sputter NO MORE THANKS.....  <~~~~CLICK, VIEW, & READ

Just thought I would link both of these THREADS together as they will invaribly get seperated and someone in the future might like to know what the solution was to harleydavid21's problem.....it appears he found a solution....which is GREAT!!!!   :up:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

RLPOS1

1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger