April 27, 2024, 08:26:21 AM

News:

starter noise

Started by fx4me2, December 06, 2008, 07:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fx4me2

On my 1980 fx 80 , When I tried to start with button, after turning over for about two times there was a loud clunk and stopped,Hitting the button again it starts fine. It did this about 3 or 4 times over the summer. I replaced the starter drive six or seven years ago when the starter would spin when I tried to start. It does not spin since I replaced that starter drive. Any body know what I might need or to check?
J.P. 1980 fxef

Lew

December 06, 2008, 08:08:09 PM #1 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:20:55 PM by lewy1313
It could be a few things that could cause this.  My first thought is the bearing is shot in the starter housing allowing the gears to stack up in there and stop.  Or the shaft support bearing in the outer cover is shot allowing the shaft to move and the drive gear to stack up on the ring gear.  I'd pull the outer cover and rule out anything in there first then have a look at the starter gear housing for issues.

edit....edit....edit.... :beer:.... :wink: 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

pappyfreebird

fx4me2

Thanks for the info, Ill pull the cover off and look
J.P. 1980 fxef

bungee

solenoid. you can even buy a kit ..will need to solder wire. new, cheapchink or Accel.