April 27, 2024, 12:28:09 PM

News:

S & S Super E

Started by conradical2, April 22, 2010, 06:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradical2

I just finished a custom build on my 900 '69 Sporty. Engine overhaul and all. I bought the bike with an S&S Super E carb. The problem is it's running extremely rich. Re-jetted it to .068 for the main and .028 for the intermediate. Even lowered the float to 1/4" below bowl surface. New Generator is pumping out 13.5V and compression is @ 125 psi. Brand new carb doing the same. Any suggestions?

Pynzo

April 22, 2010, 07:10:18 AM #1 Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:17:53 AM by Pynzo
Make sure you back out the accelerator pump screw before doing any more jet changes. Run it at highway speed for a couple of miles, hold the throttle steady, and pull up the enrichener. If it bogs, your main jet is OK. If it accelerates, your main is too lean. You shouldn't need to go any smaller with the intermediate jet. After idle and main circuits are right, try dialing in some accelerator pump a little at a time.
Mid range stumble can be cured with a DaVinci Venturi, or a Yost Powertube.
S&S carbs work best with some backpressure in the exhaust,  so even a modest baffle setup in straight pipes will do you some good.

conradical2

When you say Yost Power Tube. Do you mean a longer spacer? If so I just got a 1.5" Yost spacer from J&P yesterday.

Pynzo

No, the powertube is an atomizer thatfits inside the main nozzle. You have to remove the main jet to install it.

conradical2

Where can I get one and will the 1.5" spacer make any difference? :crook:

Pynzo

J&P sells them. I used one in my first S&S and it definitely made a difference.  The Super E that I'm setting up for my 900 Sportster has a DaVinci installed. I'm not close to firing it up yet but when I do I'll post a review. I haven't any experience with the spacer so can't tell if it'll make any performance change .

conradical2

Thanks Man. J & P has three but the discription is the same for all. Only different prices. Got any ideas which one would be best? Jireh has one as well. Again lousy discription.

Pynzo

conradical2

April 26, 2010, 11:59:16 AM #8 Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:47:43 PM by conradical2
Thanks very much for the info. The tube is ordered. Now for my next question. While I was rebuilding the engine I also rebuilt the oil pump. Cleaned it out and replaced the seal. After I put the engine in the frame, I decided to add an oil cooler to the front down tubes and an after market oil filter. It also has a wrap around 3.5qt. oil tank with four ports. I found an oil routing diagram for a '76 in the Sportster Home Page and routed my lines to that and installed an Accel 60 PSI oil guage. It still shows no oil pressure. I know its getting oil or it would have locked up by now. That oil routing diagram showed a cam chest vent behind the rear cylinder. There are two inlets or outlets there. Do you know which one that is? Also where's the return? All the way to the rear or the next one forward. Please advise :nix:

Pynzo

Try loosening up the oil guage til oil flows through pipe and tighten up the guage. Sometimes you need to burp the air out to get a guage to read.
As far as line routing goes, I can only tell you about earlier XLs, looking from the right side the feed line is to the left, the return next to it on the right, and the vent fitting below them behind the rear cylinder. How a '76 is plumbed someone else will have to advise.
Hey Pappy! Are you able to help with some info?

olpigiron

Don't Know If This Is What U Are Looking For....
The Top Hosed Behind The Cylinder Is The "Return Line"
The Smaller Hose Below That In The Cam Cover Is The "Cam Chest Vent"
The Very Small Metal Line Is The "Automatic Chain Oiler"
And Way Down Below @ Bottom Of The Frame The Hose Going Into The Oil Pump Is The "Oil Pump Inlet"
Don't Know If These Are The Correct Terms.....

Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

nibroc

the return line is the one forward and the one behind that is the chain oiler--the vent is behind the jug--the feed line goes directly to the oil pump

conradical2

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My engine is a ,69. The only routing I can find is for a '76. I will try the burp the baby. Thanks

olpigiron

Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Pynzo

That's my bad olpigiron-
I read '76 and made the assumption.....
Coradical12, can you post a pic of the oil tank?

conradical2

How do I post an image?

FSG

conradical2

I'm sorry but this is a pain in my backside. Can't they make this more user friendly?

Pynzo

I can't follow that link. Describe the tank,  what kind is it and where are the tits located.

LONE WOLF

I've had the best performance on my 1960 XLCH with .063 main and .032 intermediate jets - a little larger intermediate jet will make kick starting easier. I too have had the "too rich" condition, and actually have tried main jets as small as .058, but it was the fact that I had too much accelerator pump adjustment that was the problem. this is a double edge sword if you have a kick only with magneto ignition as you need the rich gas supply to start the thing, but then you need to readjust the pump screw for almost no squirt when running. This is usually only when its cold - after warm up it should start without readjustment of the pump.
It takes a bit of work to get it right, but its worth it - the S&S "E"is a great carb.

Fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared.