May 02, 2024, 05:56:36 AM

News:

Tear down to frame

Started by Justiceair, December 07, 2008, 04:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justiceair

My 91 FLH is a thing of beauty. At least in my eyes. The frame is starting to show some signs of age. Over 115K and I'd like to tear the bike down to the frame and clean up some corrosion. But, I don't know how in depth that could be. Yea, I know the engine has to come out as does all the other stuff. But how difficult is it for a regular wrench-er to accomplish a task like this.
Of course while the bikes  apart. I'd want to redo, rebuild or re something to all the components.
Anyone do this project to a 91 flh police bike? What to look for what to be careful of...Thanks.

bigtone

Back in 2000 I bought my '90 ultra, which sat in a barn for years. One problem was the paint on most of the frame from engine back all flaked off, with surface rust. I wanted to do something quick to make it look presentable, with intensions of stripping the bike and having the whole frame painted over somewhere down the road. I stripped most of the bike, except for the engine and trans. Sanded all the rust off, masked the engine trans, primary, and painted the frame with Russell's frame paint (spray can). After it hardened for a day or two I wet sanded it with 1000, and by hand I buffed it with Harley glaze. It looked like a prof refin. I was thinking of clear coating it, but it really looked good without it. It's still on there, and looks great. People don't believe when I told them how I did it.

bobrk1

Got a RK with 118,000 frame is still good shape just needs a good cleaneing, when I took off the everything just to paint and had to take off the lights, hinges, brackets,etc then had to put all back together I said I get a lot of miles on it before I do it again. I quess I'm just getting lazy in my old age just want to ride , washing it now takes a lot of effort. But unless you got a lot of time I would spend some hours washing and just mask off everything and paint it that way, I got a lift I drive on and lift it up so I don't have to bend over and like i said lazy in my old age. LOL

Mark222

I tore down my newly acquired 91 FLHTCU last winter to bring her up to my standards. I did a complete repaint (Sheet metal, Engine and Trans) while apart. It was a lot of pieces, and took a while, but nothing you can't do yourself if you have a little inclination for this kind of stuff.  Take digital pics if you are worrying about how things looked before disassembly to guide you in reassembly.  I didn't this time, but have on other projects because it may be a little while before I get back to putting some things together.

Anyway, after a ton of degreaser and scrubbing I found the frame which had some surface rust and paint flaked off.  I used a wire brush (powered) and then an oxidizer spray.  When I was sure it was clean I then used POR-15 paint to cover and prevent future rust.  If you have never seen it, or used it you might want to look into it.  Covers easy, looks great and holds up forever. I have used it on several frames in the past with great results.  But I have never done a whole frame, just touch up stuff.

Mark