May 03, 2024, 01:44:48 PM

News:

rocker arm question???

Started by hotstick79, December 07, 2008, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotstick79

bike is an 04 heritage, 53000 miles, stock except for air cleaner and carburator upgrade. It has had a ticking noise coming fron the front rocker box since it was new. Seems to be louder on the spark plug side of motor.  Changed tensioners last winter and put new lifters in, but didn't help at all.   Doesn't seem to be hurting anything but I am tired of listening to it and would like to fix it this winter. 

Some people blame end play in rocker shaft.  Does anyone know what a rocker shaft should measure. I would rather replace the rocker than shim but I don't want to buy a new one and not fix anything.  Seems odd to me that some tick and others don't.  Is it possible for rocker arms to be varied in length.  Let me know what you think

Sonny S.

I've got several that are 3.652.
also some that are 3.650 & 3.651

cody

My rocker shaft end play measured one at .015'', two at .013'' and one at .012''.   I had  clatter when cold and when warm less clatter but only at certain RPM's.  After shimming the clatter was gone but where the clatter when warm was there was some ticking.
On the rocker with .012'' I used a .008'' shim, after about 4,000 miles some clatter started to come back. I couldn't stop thinking that the thin shim I used might be starting to come apart. I took that rocker apart, sanded the arm to fit a .010'' shim. I shimmed all to .003''  .
I still couln't help thinking about the wear marks on the shims I saw when I had it apart and if they were wearing and that is why the clatter came back.
I then installed the Screamin' Eagle Forged Rocker Supports and new rocker arms (because I sanded the one) for end play of .007'' on two and .009'' on the other two with no shims. I have very slight clatter from the rocker boxes (pretty much like when bike was new) on cold starts but motor and rockers are completely quiet when bike warms up to operating temperature. Only have 1,500 miles on forged rocker supports so we'll see if the clatter (when warm) comes back when I get more miles.

hdpegscraper

The end play in the rocker arm can either be from worn rockers, or, excessive clearance to start with in the rocker arm support plate. The SE support plate has slightly tighter tolerances than stock. Also, your rocker arm bushings are gonna be worn, with those miles, you prolly have about .004 + clearance from bushing to shaft. So the rockers rub on the support plate at a slight angle from the wear in the bushing, and that in turn wears down the ends of the rocker and support plate, increasing end play. You can most likely install new bushings, and maybe need to shim to set the end play. Bushings are easy to replace, but do need a special reamer, or have a bike shop size them for you. Measure your clearances, and asses just whats worn.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

bouncingVman

December 08, 2008, 06:03:24 AM #5 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:05:50 AM by bouncingVman
Just a thought.... you might want to check the pin to rocker bushing clearance. I would bet there is some wear. Wear was noticed with mine. Enough to cause noise.... no doubt about it. -BVM
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)