May 03, 2024, 11:42:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

anyone running 16 inch apes on Heritage or fatboy?

Started by baldeagle, December 07, 2008, 06:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldeagle

I just installed a set on my Heritage softail, and do not like them. I like the control and the feel of the bike, but I am 6'4" 260 and the bars seem to have too much pullback.  I think these would be great for someone who does not have broad shoulders but they have my wrists in a very awkward position, the measurements are:
39.5 width
16" end rise
11.5 wide
11.5 pullback
I think if I could find something with less pullback they would be fine.

Anyone with a build similar to me running apes that work?

2001FLSTC

Quote from: baldeagle on December 07, 2008, 06:25:04 PM
I just installed a set on my Heritage softail, and do not like them. I like the control and the feel of the bike, but I am 6'4" 260 and the bars seem to have too much pullback.  I think these would be great for someone who does not have broad shoulders but they have my wrists in a very awkward position, the measurements are:
39.5 width
16" end rise
11.5 wide
11.5 pullback
I think if I could find something with less pullback they would be fine.

Anyone with a build similar to me running apes that work?

I ride a Heritage and I'm 6'5" 245 lbs.  It's interesting you mentioned up the bars.  I tried a Heritage with much taller apes...I didn't mind them but actually find the stock bars are a better fit for me.  I could go about 2" taller from stock but that's all I'd need.

apes

..I'm "only" 6'3" and  did a lot of research to find bars with as little pull back as possible and the least I could find was with LA Choppers,  I bought 14 inch and they have 9" pull back and are 40" wide which puts your hands out further and may give you a better hand position

JAFHR

I've run 16" Chubbies from Wild ones on my 05 Road King (similar bike to the Heritage and Fatboy). I loved them. Part of the reason is that they are wider then most bars and with a lot less pull back. I am 5'10" 210lbs. The bars were at shoulder level when sitting on a Corbin seat. I would recommend at least an 18" for you or even a 20". It all comes down to putting the bars up and check it. The bars took no time in getting used to and it was very comfortable on long rides. I miss having the bars on my new Ultra.  :beer:
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"