May 01, 2024, 09:48:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Softail B motors, Anyone turn down the balancers?

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, May 01, 2010, 08:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Getting ready to tear my B motor apart for a rebiuld/upgrade and was wonder if anyone has turned down the balancers? How much? What affect if any?

All replies welcome with pro's and con's......

Thanks
Member since 2004

02FYRFTR

I turned down set .085" reduced the weight by 117 gms also adjusted weight so both were equal to each other.  17 gms spread from H/D.  I am putting them in 124" build with lightened SE flywheels.  Don't know yet how it will turn out.  Should hit redline faster with the lightened wheels and reducing weight of balancers seemed to be the right thing to do.

rbabos

Read somewhere the later models are already lighter than the early ones.
Ron

se

i had the balancers removed when i did my 120 build. after the build a lot more vibration. i did not mind . this yr i put a new clutch in and it minimized the vibrations a lot .
alsoi dont really think by lightning the crank that it will rev all that much faster. it may feel like it but imo i dont think so. as the revs increase the weight in the crank actually will help minimize the vibration and dampen the harmonics of the crank. also if tuning with the sert ot tts make sure you turn off the knock sensor .
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

RevFastEddy

I thought about it on  my 124 build but decided against it. I am using a slightly heavier crank by S&S so I did not want to have less to counter the inherant vibrations of a V twin.

I am not sure lightening them does that much for a street engine. If you were going for a 7k redline it might make some diffrence on the bearing life..thats a maybe. Of course if you were racing you would just pull them out.

Opinion now... if you lighten the crank you can lighten the balencers a proportionate amount. If you have the same or heavier crank you would leave them the same.

Remember, if you dont like it or change your mind, it is a pain in the a$$ to put the balencers back in if you took them out and even more expencive to replace the balencers to get the weight back....
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach