May 09, 2024, 01:05:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1993 Heritage head shake

Started by Tazman1964, December 08, 2008, 01:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazman1964

I have a 1993 Heritage softail and when I let off throttle, I get a bad head shake. Any ideas? Bad head bearing?

WML57

Its probably the front tire. The outer edge of the tread cups and will cause a shake between 35 and 40 mph.
Most will think it is loose steering head bearings, front tire balance or wheel true. I have taken a softail with head shake and tightened the steering head to where there was no fallaway, trued the spoked wheel within specs, properly balanced the tire and still had head shake. The tire had over 6,000 miles and showed minor cupping, so I installed a new tire and the head shake was gone. This was done in a shop where other techs were determined that the problem was not the tire.

Mark

92Fatty

First verify psi is correct for your tire. A good inspect for cupping etc. You can check fall away for steering head bearing.

bagga

1985 flhtc
1976 fxe

Flat Dog

Stop letting Michael J Fox ride your scooter...

Caper

Rock the bars back n forth when yer sitting on it.... if you hear any clunkin...or feel anything, check the head bearing....if nuttin, what the others are saying.