September 20, 2024, 06:23:08 PM

News:

What's to see in Utah?

Started by stsdc, May 02, 2010, 04:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stsdc

After Sturgis this year we are headed to Utah (never been) then back across CO. to MO.  Any suggestions on what to not miss?  Middle of August is not the best for camping but we are tough......

Azgunner

Lots of incredibly beautiful country.
Head down to Zion, then back up to Bryce, Capitol Reef, Kodachrome, Arches Nat'l parks. & then head back thru Co. to go home. There are lots of things to see in Utah.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Snorth

I'm planning on Zion, Bryce, the Grand Escalade and then up to Flaming gorge myself

stsdc

This is mostly desert right?  How about camping, out of the question because of the heat or tolerable?  Stuff to see from the seat or you gotta go hiking?

shoveldog81

Arches and Moab area is a "can't miss".  Beautiful area - especially Arches.

jayjaywideglide

I've been on every paved road in Southern Utah and it is all great.  Great camping, do it if you want.  Just be mindful to find a place to stay early.  I've been stuck a couple times waiting too late to find a place to stay, camping or hotel.  Some of those little towns don't have many accomodations and get booked up early.

Deye76

The hallowed ground of speed. Bonneville salt flats.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

skunk

all the above are great places to see. If near Green River at meal time Ray's Tavern has been a favorite of mine. Great burgers and fries.  In Colorado on your way back avoid I-70 from the tunnel down to Denver on a Sunday afternoon. Traffic thru there sucks.

Ed Y

Utah Hwy 12 in southern Utah (runs from around the Bryce Canyon Area to around Capitol Reef National Park) is one of the best riding roads anywhere. Kanab down on the AZ state line is a nice place to stay and provides easy access to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

Scurvy

http://scenicbyway12.com/

This is the one the wife and I did. Loved it.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

harborjohn

Quote from: stsdc on May 02, 2010, 06:24:15 PM
This is mostly desert right?  How about camping, out of the question because of the heat or tolerable?  Stuff to see from the seat or you gotta go hiking?
I did Utah enroute to Sturgis last year and at that time of year the heat is an issue but it is tolerable. Like somebody else said-I have been on almost every paved road in southern and north-eastern Utah and you wont be disappointed.

BrownsfaninMN

MOAB ROCKS, eastern Utah is amazing.

Desperado

Starting at Moab, after doing the Arches National Park, take US 191 to I-70 and west.  Be certain to stop at Green River for gas.  Just past Green river is a sign on the Interstate saying no services for 130 miles or something - more than 100 miles.  That part of I-70 is known as the most desolate Interstate in America.  Parts of the right lane were useless because there wasn't enough traffic to keep the sand blown off.  Just past Green Rivers turn south on state 24.  For a while you will think I just gave you the worst route you have ever seen because it is nothing, but it gets better - much better.  Follow 24 through the Capitol Reef National Park, being sure to stop.  At Torrey, when you join state 12, turn south.  You just got onto one of the most beautiful roads in America.  Be sure to look into your mirrors often because sometimes - like just outside of Torrey - some of the best pictures are behind you.  Follow 12 through the Grand Escalades to Bryce Canyon.  Bryce Canyon is best seen in the evening if you can arrange to be there at that time.  The park road is on the west side of the canyon.  In the afternoon and evening (stay until sunset if possible) the colors as the sun sets are marvelous.  The motels at the park entrance are expensive, but just west of the turn into the park are some motels that are more reasonable.  In the morning, you would be looking into the sun at the canyon so I don't think it would be as nice.  If you stay for sunset and spend the night then you will be riding through Red Canyon at sunrise the next morning.  That's just west of Bryce.  You need to park your bike and hike in a little ways to really "see" it.  At US 89 turn south to 9 and Zion National park - again seen best first thing in the morning.  If you have the time here run on down to Kanab for the night and while there go see the north rim of the Grand Canyon before returning to Kanab for the night.  That would put you in Zoin in the morning.

Oh and on your way home through Colorado, if you can do it, ride through Rocky Mountain National Park.  Spend the night in Grandby.  You will be riding the park - best in the morning when the wildlife are still out - from west to east.  Almost everybody spends the night in Estes Park and sees it east to west.  So you will have a lot of approaching traffic, but you will have very little traffic.  All the way to the top, you will see a vista and think it cannot get any better than this - and then you'll round another curve or top another ridge and it is better than what you just saw so you are thinking it cannot get any better than this ... until you round the next curve, etc.

How many days you planning on spending on all this?  Whatever it is, it won't be enough.  Take plenty of memory for your camera because you WILL be stopping for LOTS of pictures.  Footnote:  Always stop for the picture.  "You may not pass this way again" and you will wish, later, that you had taken the picture.  You cannot take to many pictures.  You can always delete some of them once you get home and go over them again but you can never take more.  (I always intend to delete some, but I never do.  I do burn them all to CD's for backups.  That way I'll always have 'em even if my hard disk crashes - make that WHEN my hard disk crashes.)

Have a wonderful time on your trip - and don't waste too much time in Sturgis will all this other great stuff is waiting for you.....

MMOCGuy

If you have the time - Hwy 191 up through East Carbon, Price & Helper or, Better still, down Hwy 6 from Payson/Spanish Fork on I-15. Cut East at Helper and take Hwy 191 up through Duchesne then up to Vernal. From Vernal, you can take Old US 40 (Jack Karouac's route [If you know who Karouac is]) east to Denver, CO). If you take Hwy 6 from Payson down to Hwy 191, it goes over Soldier Pass and then cuts through the canyons of the coal mining country. It absolutely dwafs you and is stunning (At least in my humble opine). Along that route there is good camping at the KOA campground in Nephi (Pronounced NEFI - and you will be corrected if you pronounce it wrong) and at the KOA campground in Vernal. Nephi to Vernal is a very leisurely one day ride. If you do take this route, be aware of animals on the roadway. I came around a blind curve between Duchesne and Mylon and encountered a full herd of sheep unattended blocking the entire roadway ! It was a good thing I was not going fast and I could stop in time. I then just "Nudged" my way through them. If you take Old US 40 through Colorado to Denver, there are several small towns along the way with decent motels that are priced right. There is also a KOA at Craig, CO., but it is not as nice as the ones in Utah. It can get downright cold at the upper altitudes on US 40 so be aware of that. It would be a good idea to plan on staying in motels once you pass Craig/Hayden.

Hope this helps.

NormS

Ironpig9

:up: The real question on Utah is "what not to see?" Utah totally rocks! (no pun intended) Moab must be avoided on weekends - very crowded. See everything you can south of Green River - it is all outstanding. And don't forget the camera - the vistas are mind boggling. I'd suggest getting off the bike some and doing some hiking, even if it's just climbing up a big (and I mean big) rock for a higher perspective. Have fun and get ready to feel real, real small in the grand scheme of things. :up: :up: PS In Moab you can take a road along the Colorado River that goes up thru the desert to the main east/west highway and back into Colorado near Hotchkiss. Nice road along the Colorado. You're in for a blast!!!!!!!!!!!
"The road goes on forever...."

texaskatfish

UT128 out of Moab - right down on the deck along the Colorado River - with towering cliffs on either side.......Gorgeous and incredibly desolate
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

stsdc

We've ridden alot of Colorado, but I'm taking notes on Utah, sounds like a place to spend some time.  Thanks for all the replies.....

hardonthemerch

Quote from: skunk on May 03, 2010, 04:48:59 AM
all the above are great places to see. If near Green River at meal time Ray's Tavern has been a favorite of mine. Great burgers and fries.  In Colorado on your way back avoid I-70 from the tunnel down to Denver on a Sunday afternoon. Traffic thru there sucks.

A guy named Ray told me about a Green River UT story, but it had to do with an arshole cop who didn't get to have a puppy as a kid or something.

WideBoy04

Heard Zion was going to be under construction starting in May.
Don't know for how long. Might doulbe check with the DOT.

Jim
Galatians 2:20

Blazing Saddles

You can check out the Utah highway construction info at: www.udot.utah.gov/knowwhereknowwhy
It currently states that US 191 from I-70 to Moab will have construction.  Also, #9 from Jct. #89 west to the Zion-Mt. Carmel tunnel - night closures, possible 1 hour daytime delays and single lane traffic.

Like others here, I have ridden much of the state of Utah and it is great in all regards.  :bike:  We rode from Calgary, Alberta, last year all the way down HWY #191 from the Canadian border to the Mexican border.  This year we are heading down on a different route spending a night in Garden City on Bear lake then riding through Vernal, over to Rangely, CO and down #139 (excellent road) to Loma then over to Cisco to ride #128 into Moab.  That is a great road - you might want to take time and stop at Red Cliffs Lodge for a cold one and to check out the old western movie memorabilia from all the movies that were shot in that area.

We are spending an entire day in Moab as some of our group have never been there before.  Make sure you ride the #313 Canyonlands road plus Dead Horse Pt.; the Arches road; and #279 along the river west of Moab.  Lots of good places to eat and drink.  :soda: We normally stay at the Big Horn lodge.  :up:

We are heading east into Colorado from there and down to Santa Fe, NM before heading up to Durango, Cortez, Monument Valley, up the Moki Dugway to Torrey, UT then #12 to Bryce and Zion.  A desert crossing to Ely  :missed: then Elko, Stanley and up through Montana.  Hopefully rendezvouing with Scurvy on our first night out.

Carry lots of water and something to eat in case you have a mechanical.  Lots of sunscreen and don't pass up a gas station unless you are sure!!  There lots of smaller gas stations that have closed down due to the poor economy.

Blazin'

Bladesmith

If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan