May 07, 2024, 07:43:46 AM

News:

Check things over!

Started by Garry in AZ, December 08, 2008, 06:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry in AZ

Just thought I'd post a reminder to anyone who does some, most, or all of their own maintenance... I give my bike a thorough checking over twice a year, and this last time I found a cracked exhast pipe, broken bracket tab, worn out front motor mount, dry wheel bearing, missing rubber grommet where wire goes thru front fender, and some corrosion on the battery cables, on the opposite ends from the battery.

I find that this kind of regular "check-up" keep my riding pretty much trouble (and worry) free.

The bike is a 2000 FLHRI with about 70,000 miles on it.

Happy Holidays

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

Mike52

Those things should be checked at every oil change as part of routine maintenance. Also when you wash the bike gives you a good opportunity to touch items that could work loose. I know a lot of people that never check their bikes, they just hop on and ride.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

1JITSU1

Good going Garry  I got 3 more rides here in L.I. this Sunday a toy ride
Jan 1st COLD FINGER RUN and I think Jan. 6 POLAR BEAR RUN
then I will do my service. There are some other thing I would like to do also at that time
I lay it up. But Ill be back on the road in march.

shovelmonster76

I check my bike every day for loose stuff after my rear caliper almost came off. I guess I had too many beers and didn't space it right and bolts came out. Plus, I always check for new oil leaks. Yes, I used loctite. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
Watch out for those Alligators