Rotor Installation Problem on S&S Assembly

Started by gOOseman, May 03, 2010, 03:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gOOseman

Trying to put original rotor (2001 Sportster) on a S&S assembly and the rotor is overly tight on the shaft. It goes on the shaft about 1/4 inch and then freezes. Most I have dealt with (OEM) go on pretty easily once started. I have checked shaft and rotor for burs, etc. I don't want to overly force it on. Is this normal for this combo of parts? Thanks
gOOseman
gOOseman
I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a lOOk...

andyxlh

May 06, 2010, 04:43:00 AM #1 Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:47:23 AM by andyxlh
Hello mate
gotta say I don't really have an answer for you, but just a few thoughts. I have looked at the S&S sportster engine cases (and realised that I would never be able to afford a set unfortunately!) and rememebr reading they take the 91-up transmission and charging system and 86-90 cams and lifters. of course you know this, but if it is the case then the rotor should go on there. The Lh crankshaft should be identical to the 91-up sportster to accept the rotor and sprocket. Do you have the old engine to compare it with? can you take a micrometer to the local dealer and measure a new OEM shaft and/or the hole in a new rotor? there were a good few little changes in the 2000 model year for the sportsters, the last changes before the 2004 rubbermount redesign, I wonder if there was a change to the charging system and you need a pre 1999 rotor? you could check the OEM numbers for the different years to see if they changed.
I'd give S&S a call as they seem a pretty cool company and no one on the list here has come forward with an answer.
I guess if you end up opening the hole a little to get it on it's not the end of the world, as long as it locates properly and does not foul the stator or interfere with the front sprocket alignment, but it does seem strange. gotta hate those little niggly problems in a build!
Hope u get it fixed, let us know what happens...
Cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble