May 03, 2024, 10:47:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Paint chip repair

Started by aal, December 08, 2008, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

What's the best way to fix a little paint chip on a fender?  Does the HD touch up paint work well?

irishrover

i don't know why it wouldn't. first if possable take some masking tape and surround the chip area this works on a scratch also now take your paint and keep layering the paint in the chip/scratch area until its built up higher than the original finish remember to take your time and let the paint dry between applications then take a piece of 3000 grit wet sand paper and soak it for about five minutes and slowly and easily sand down the repaired area to the original finish you might have to touch up the area alittle again and do the same as above until your happy the last thing is to rub with some fine grit rubbing compound and then some good wax and elbow grease i can't stress enough TAKE YOUR TIME& GO EASY WITH THE SANDPAPER USE THE TIP OF YOUR FINGER IN A CIRCLE MOTION good luck

Ironpig9

I bought some HD touch up paint recently and it came with both the paint (HD color) and a little bottle of clear coat as well. Irishrover has it right. This process is not done in a day but in several days. You gotta let the paint dry well before each application and then real well before you go in with the sanding/compounding to bring repair back down to orig. level. Good luck.
"The road goes on forever...."

still_on2_wheels

If your touch up paint, builds up over the edge, during the layering process....fear not. Use a single edged razor blade and carefully shave the high spots down. It prevents sanding through the clear coat accidentally with your finger.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.