May 03, 2024, 10:15:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE Head Gasket Thickness?

Started by Ratfade, December 08, 2008, 04:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratfade

This winter I'm going to pull the heads on my 2000 EGC and have them cleaned up and maybe ported. I have 45,000 miles on these heads since the cylinders were bored a few years ago. Anyway, back then I used Cometic .030 gaskets and the rear cylinder leaked a little. Figuring maybe I experienced some "installer error" I pulled the heads and installed another set of Cometics. Same result. Next time I switched to SE gaskets. 45,000 miles later still no leaks. I've checked around and I can't find the thickness of these gaskets. I think it's important to know if I have any porting done and want to go with them again.

Thanks.

Sonny S.

I have'nt used SE gaskets in a coupla years but I believe they were .045

If you torque the Cometics according to their method ending up at 42 ft lbs. they won't leak

Jim Bronson

I've got about 20k on my SE heads with 030 Cometics. No leaks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ken R

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 08, 2008, 04:16:04 PM

If you torque the Cometics according to their method ending up at 42 ft lbs. they won't leak

Sonny, can you please post a site that describes the Cometic method.  I went to the Cometic website FAQs; they say to use the manufacturer's torques. 

Sonny S.

December 08, 2008, 11:31:57 PM #4 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:37:23 PM by Sonny S.
Quote from: Ken R on December 08, 2008, 09:04:09 PM
Quote from: Sonny S. on December 08, 2008, 04:16:04 PM

Sonny, can you please post a site that describes the Cometic method.  I went to the Cometic website FAQs; they say to use the manufacturer's torques. 

Ken,

9, 14, 22, 35, and finally 42 ft-lbs. ...
Little oil on the threads and under the bolt flange, and follow the sequence described in the SM.
I wasn't aware they changed it ...hmmm, guess I'll have to read the directions next time...lol

Bakon

.045 when torqued down. Got a set on the wall I never used if you want a half price set.
wasting time

ClassicRider2002

December 09, 2008, 12:55:59 AM #6 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:04:23 AM by ClassicRider2002

KenR~~~~ I realize I am not "Sonny" but perhaps the following link I have attached may be of help to you as well as others, this has been a topic of recent discussion here at HTT and I felt it was worth bringing over here to the NEW HTT as a "REPRINT":

COMETIC HEAD BOLT TORQUE SPECS   (HIPPO) 02-02-04 <~~~~CLICK, VIEW, & READ

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Ratfade

SHO, I might take you up on it; I've a few more questions first. If Cometic has gone to the torque specs in the SM, then I guess either they changed something about their gaskets, or they decided the SM specs worked just as well. The first time around I used the torque sequence recommended by the guy who did the cylinder boring (I later came to believe that he was criminally insane :crook:); next I used the SM method. All I know is that the SE's didn't leak, and it's not a job I'd like to do twice (again).
That said, I  assume that gasket thickness (combined with my Andrews 37G cams) has a big influence on the type of port job done. I was considering using Bigboyz, but it looks as if their "street port" is a one size fits all sort of deal. For that reason I was thinking about paying a little more and using Dewey's.
Any thoughts on this?

Ajayrk

From the Cometic site download the catalog and go to the Harley section.  The last page has instructions for MLS gaskets.

Gaskets for Harley-Davidson®
Cometic MLS Head Gasket Instructions for Harley Davidson applications
NOTE: DO NOT USE THE CYLINDER HEAD ALIGNMENT DOWEL O-RING WHEN USING AN MLS GASKET.
NOTE: COMETIC GASKET RECOMMENDS THE HEAD BOLTS BE SET AT A FINAL TORQUE OF 42FTLBS.
1. Check all gasket surfaces for flatness and imperfections, an excessively rough
finish may cause gasket failure.
2. Check all hardware for defects, clean all threads and lubricate with light machine
oil. Including the underside flange of the head bolts. (Wipe away any excess.)
3. There are two short and two long head bolts. The short go on the spark plug side
while the long go on the push-rod side.
4. Before installing the head, place the head gasket on the cylinder and locate the
gasket using the cylinder head alignment dowels (NOTE THE GASKET IS
EMBOSSED AROUND THE DOWEL AREA AND THE DOWEL HOLES ARE
SMALLER. DO NOT USE DOWEL ALIGNMENT O-RINGS WITH AN MLS GASKET.)
5. Once the gasket is located in place make sure the gasket fits your bore. The
gasket should not hang in the bore or combustion chamber in any area.
6. If using a head or cylinder other than stock, check brass rivet
location to ensure the rivet does not interfere with the sealing surface in any way.
Some aftermarket castings are substantially larger than stock castings and may
interfere. Simply remove the brass rivets, "side cutters work well".
7. Once proper fitment is established proceed with head installation and torque.
(NOTE: SEE ILLUSTRATION FOR SEQUENCE.)
8. Alternately snug all the head bolts finger tight.
9. In sequence tighten all head bolts to 9 ft-lbs. Then in sequence tighten all head
bolts to 14 ft-lbs. Again in sequence tighten all head bolts to 22 ft â€"lbs. Then in sequence
tighten all head bolts to 35 ft-lbs and finally torque all head bolts to a final torque of
42ft-lbs in sequence.
Note: Failure to comply with any or all of these instructions may result in premature failure of the head and or base gasket.

AJ
AJ

PanHeadRed