May 07, 2024, 05:13:59 AM

News:

Arizona ride

Started by kik, December 08, 2008, 07:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kik

Hey, My wife and a few friends are talking about heading to Arizona at the end of March. Does anyone know if this is a good time to go there? We'll be leaving from the Chicago area around 3/21. Would it be warm, cold, wet, dry, on the average. I've never been out that way so I need the advice.
Thanks, Kik

CraigArizona85248

Kik,

Most people don't realize it but Arizona has everything from low desert to mountain peaks above tree line.  This means that some parts of the state will be really nice in March and other parts will still be in the grips of winter.  If you want to tour the lower desert regions, late March is usually very nice.  But areas like the Grand Canyon will be very cold (at least at night and early in the day).  The north rim of the Grand Canyon is closed that time of year because they don't plow the roads.

Did you have a particular destination in mind for late March?

-Craig

Memnar

My friend and I rode to Az at the end of April a few years ago. Lots of snow on the side of the road by Pason, Springerville, etc.. it was pretty cold.

It was real nice in Phoenix and south at the Pema air museum, but cold the in the other parts of the state.
Albuquerque, NM.

inspector

My wife and I were in Arizona the first week of June and it was cold in the mornings.The morning that we left the Grand Caynon,it was 38 degrees.Elevation at the GC is about 7,000 feet.

WideBoy04

The end of March from Chicago won't be no treat, unless you're trailering.
I'm in Ohio and we did that ride a couple years ago but didn't ride out until
July. Visited the North Rim, and Page. Last time I was in Chandler was '78'
like to see it now.

Have a good trip, Jim
Galatians 2:20

randallwhitman

The wife and I, about a dozen years ago, were riding toward Flagstaff from the east in APRIL.  It started to snow.  Snowed for two days.....almost two feet deep.  Had to ship the bike home and rent a car to finish the trip.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

HIPPO

Yeah, you never know. Couple years ago went into Utah by way of Jacob Lake in April and it was perfect, about a week after coming back they had all sorts of snow storms. Better lucky then good.

wayzalot

March is a perfect time to go to Arizona.  I lived in Apache Jct. for 19 years. East of Pheonix.  Take the Apache trail up to canyon lake.  Curvey wonderful road.  You ARE taking the bike?   :up:  Watch out for the snow birds.
"My life is based on a true story"

kik

CraigArizona, We were looking at the Tempe Area. I would assume we were going more places than that, but my buddy got an email about some place called Heart Attack Grill out near Tempe and now for him it's a must see. I myself wouldn't mind getting together with a few of the other HTT members from around that area and doing a day ride or maybe find a park and have a BBQ, and just sit around for a BS session and see if I can't make some new good friends.

Garry in AZ

Hey kik, by all means come and visit us here in AZ... My shop is about a mile from the Heart Attack Grille... and all I can say is I went once, and I won't bother going back... Food was well below average, and it's hard to screw up a burger and fries... and the "scenery" had more miles on it than the space shuttle... But... there ARE a lot of great places to eat, and see around here, so come on down!

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

kik

Thanks for all the input....I don't know if it'll make any difference, but I thought I'd head south through IL ,KY, TN and then west. I know the quickest route for me is to head out toward Desmoines IA, but if figured it would be warmer to head south.  I wouldn't mind having a set of lowers for the Glide if anyone has a set laying around for a hundred or so. It would make the trip a little warmer for me :teeth:

kik

Garry, Thanks for the invite. Truthfully, food is the last thing on my mind. I've gone from 260 down to 210, so Grease aint high on my list, but at least we'd be able to say, been there, done that. By the way, what;s the name of the shop so I can look you up and say hey. I got 15 days to use before I the beginning of April or I lose them. So I figured Spring break would be a good time.

Garry in AZ

Hey Kik, my shop is not a motorcycle oriented place, I own a small consulting company dealing with product develpoment in the electronics industry, so it's not much to see unless you're really into oscilloscopes.   :teeth: When you are heading this way, shoot us an email (in the profile) and let us know when you'll be around here, I'll buy you a beer!  :pop:

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

CraigArizona85248

LOL!  I work 1/2 mile from the Heart Attack Grill.  I go to lunch everyday with a bunch of guys in my group.  We went to the Heart Attack Grill one time.  LOL... Garry's description it right on target.  Definitely shoot us an email or post here when you have your plans set.  We can setup a meet & greet (we are always looking for a good excuse to have one of those).  I'm sure you won't have trouble finding someone folks to ride with.

-Craig

HIPPO

truck

December 10, 2008, 02:57:52 PM #15 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:00:40 PM by trück
Interesting place....the Heart Attack Grill.

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/index.html
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Joncin

AZ Bike week is from March 27-April 5, 2009. If you're going to be here during that time, you're welcome to come to my annual BBQ.

A group of us locals usually put together a nice ride or two. The burgers may be burned but at least the company will be mostly HTT veterans......so it's all good.  :teeth:

HIPPO

Finally made it over here. eh?

Joncin

Yeah Hippo,

I finally made it. I'm just not used to being employed and my time seems to always be taken up with stuff.  :teeth:

They just announced today that we're working Christmas and the following four days straight for the grand opening.  :cry:

kik

Well, I'll definitely let you guys know when I'm coming. It sounds like it'll be fun. And I'm always up for a burnt burger....LOL. Unfortunatley I'll only be able to do the first day of bike week, then I'll have to hit the road.....I have to be back here in IL on the 29th

Killer

>> The burgers may be burned but at least the company will be mostly HTT veterans......so it's all good<<
Lol, o.k. Joncin, break out them cool pictures of your plates.  :smile:
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

help-u2

let us know.  i will ride with you...
tilted kilt comes to mind for stop.  good burgers and real nice scenery...