May 02, 2024, 01:52:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 MM bike Hard to Start

Started by wifesdriver, December 08, 2008, 08:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wifesdriver

My friends 2000 Electra Glide Police Model is now hard to start.
Acts like a carb flooding but it is an MM FI. It seems to fire when you 1st hit the starter but will not start. I pulled the plugs, they were wet so I installed another set and it fired right up.
Once it starts it runs and idles fine until you shut it off, then hard to start again. Throttle must be opened up a little or it will not restart, even after running til warm and even if just turned off for a few seconds. Again it seems to fire once when you first hit the switch but will not catch, you have to give it some throttle to get it started.
There are no codes thrown. I checked visually for leaking injectors per the manual and it seems OK to me.

I have my 2000 RK that is also an injected bike that I could use for a temporary parts swap if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance. Rex

00FHHRCI

December 08, 2008, 09:19:37 PM #1 Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:26:47 PM by 00FHHRCI
Greetings,
I have a 2000 Roadking with MM.  My bike did a similar thing.  It wouldn't start unless you opened up the throttle a little.  This is how I fixed mine.  You might try this to reset the throttle position sensor and idle speed control actuator.  Be sure ignition switch and run switch are off.  Take the right saddle bag off and pull the side cover.  You will see some wires that go to a connector that is under a cover mounted to a plate.  Simply lift up on the connector, remove from plate and take off the cover.  You will see two fuses under the cover.  A fuel pump fuse and an ecm fuse.  Pull both fuses and let bike set for at least 15 minutes.  This step clears the ecm memory.  Reinstall the fuses.  Turn on the ignition switch.  Turn on the run switch.  You should hear the ISC adjust itself.  Leave run switch on for about 15 seconds.  Turn off run switch for about 15 seconds.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Leave run switch off and then turn off ignition switch.  Let set for a minute.  Then turn on ignition switch, hit the run switch and wait till engine light goes out.  Start bike and let it idle for a minute.  It should idle fast as it will be on cold idle then drop to warm idle as the engine warms up.  The above steps seemed to help my bike relearn the IAC and TPS settings and it runs better and idles.  The only thing I'm not sure about is leaving the ignition switch on between cycling the run switch, but I'd try the above way first and see if it helps.

James 

FLTRI

First, turn on the ignition and look at the idle speed linkage (on right (front) of TB - looking at the intake opening) to make sure it moves to "crack open" the throttle. If not, usually the 12mm linkage retainer nut disappeared, and with it, the idle speed arm. If gone there is no way to "crack" the throttle open to start.
Hope this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Bakon

That arm sucks. Cant buy it alone. Got to buy the whole motor assembly. The reset will work by just pulling the fuses and sitting 15 minutes. I dont remeber cycling it so many times but that cant hurt.
wasting time

Ratfade

SHO, let me look around; I might have one of those arms.

wifesdriver

Thanks all, I'll give these a try tonight and post back the results when complete.
Rex

Bakon

Rat- sorry, dont need one, got newer bike now. But I did buy the whole kit once.
wasting time

wifesdriver

Resetting the idle speeds and ECM seems to have taken care of it. I wouldn't have thought it, given the flooding like symptoms, but I am happily surprised.
The only thing left is to see how it starts in the morning after it has completely cooled off.
Thanks for the tip.
Rex

00FHHRCI

Greetings,

Just wondering, did you cycle the run switch 3 times with the ignition on or did you turn the ignition off each time, or did you cycle it at all?  When your bike started, it should have idled high for a while after resetting the ecm and idle until it warmed up.  Your cold start ought to be okay.  If not you'll have to adjust it.  The manual has a procedure for adjusting the cold idle, although it is a pain.  I like for mine to idle a little less than 1500 rpm on a cold start.  If you have time, let me know how your cold start works.

James

wifesdriver

James, good evening,

The bike starts fine cold or hot now. Thanks again.
After pulling the fuses to reset the ECM, I only cycled the ignition switch 2 or 3 times before I started it. I did not touch the run switch. The 1st start was a little rough running for a minute, but after that it was fine.
I had already reset both the high and low speed idles before resetting the ECM. Cold is 1400, hot is 1000 rpm and smooth. It starts perfectly every time now. All is good.
Rex