May 01, 2024, 09:16:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cracked swingarm options...

Started by CrazyRay, December 08, 2008, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyRay

While changing the tire on my '99 RK I found the dreaded crack in the swingarm. Has anyone fixed theirs without replacing it? If so, could you share what you did. And, the solid belt adjusters, which ones work. Did I read something about an evo adjuster working? Has anyone ever heard of one of these swingarms cracking all the way through?

CrazyRay

still_on2_wheels

I ordered a few of those axle "inserts" that replace the stock adjusters and found the early FL style does not directly fit into late model swing arms. I returned them, but with some creative file work, they can be used. The axle size was right, just not the outside dimensions.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

Deye76

I would replace it with a 2004 + swing arm, pulleys & belt. Stronger parts and allow you to run a wider rear tire.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

RoadKingTrooper

I think a competent welder can repair it. You will need to switch the axle adjusters and spacers to something like Ride str8 makes. Yeah they are pricey but a whole lot less money and labor than upgrading to the newer style swingarm.
RKT

appledore52

I've been looking at this one from Custom Cycle Engineering, it's pricey but it would be a complete upgrade.

http://www.customcycleengineering.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=192&products_id=670

REL
'01 EGC
95" 10:1 CR
HQ Heads HQ 39g's 43mm TMax Con. 2:1 SuperTrap 93T VPC

HIPPO

Looking at that upgrade I see it requires a late model rear caliper.

I have a brand new takeoff one, from a 03 FLH.

smoserx1

How many miles does your bike have on it?  Mine cracked at about 117K (I replaced it with the same thing), and I am wondering if over 100K on one is typical.  I can live with that.  I would not try to have it fixed.  Too me it would be too much of a safety risk.

Clintster

A while back some folks were buying the newer style swingarms from some of the aftermarket guys who do wide tire kits.
Drive fast, take chances

MBSKEAM

where do they crack at? ? ? ?....
got pics? ? ?....

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Billy

Quote from: MBSKEAM on December 09, 2008, 04:15:59 PM
where do they crack at? ? ? ?....
got pics? ? ?....

mbskeam

Around the axle slot in the swingarm, left side.

Sorry, no pics.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

xzo124

Mine is an 01 FLHTC. Had one break under warranty. Had another break in 03 Repaired it inside and outside had the spacer milled 125 thou. back together ,not a problem since. xzo.

CrazyRay

Still trying to do things on the cheap (past year's been pretty lean) so I was trying to avoid replacing the swingarm and all the necessary additional parts if I could. That upgrade kit looks pretty good though.
I don't see why repairing it wouldn't work. I'm thinking about welding the crack then welding a plate to the outside with an axle hole in it. Also switching to the solid adjusters.
With the later model upgrade does the wheel need to be replaced or can I get bearings that would work with my wheel and the larger axle?

CrazyRay

Quote from: HIPPO on December 09, 2008, 09:27:12 AM
Looking at that upgrade I see it requires a late model rear caliper.

I have a brand new takeoff one, from a 03 FLH.
Thanks Hippo, if I go with a fix that requires the 1" axle I'll give you a call.

Quote from: smoserx1 on December 09, 2008, 09:39:35 AM
How many miles does your bike have on it?  Mine cracked at about 117K (I replaced it with the same thing), and I am wondering if over 100K on one is typical.  I can live with that.  I would not try to have it fixed.  Too me it would be too much of a safety risk.
88K and it hasn't been cracked long, I check it regularly. I think if you keep an eye on it (the fix) you could catch any problem before it becomes dangerous. I don't think it would just break off.

HIPPO

If you have to do it on the cheap just replace the swing arm, the old ones are not expensive. You can make the blocks.

smoserx1

Quote88K and it hasn't been cracked long, I check it regularly. I think if you keep an eye on it (the fix) you could catch any problem before it becomes dangerous. I don't think it would just break off.

I agree with you there.  Mine was cracked in exactly the same manner as you have described, and it was cracked clean through on both sides (on the left, that is).  The shock mount and torque of the axle nut/washer were holding mine together, and I didn't notice anything wrong till I went to do a tire change.

A new swingarm retails for about 450.  If you order through Zanotti you could save about $100.  Mine new one did have new bushings already pressed in.  Regardless of how you fix it, here is something I have heard.  If you look at the washer behind the axle nut on the left side, chances are it has become concave or "dished" over the years.  I have heard that can cause pressure on a very small area of the swingarm, and may cause a hairline crack to develop.  You might want to get a supply of new washers (Harley calls them "spacers"), and use a new one each time you remove the rear wheel.  They are only about 50 cents each.   Or I guess you could flip the old one over each time.

Anyway, good luck.  I wish I had saved my old swingarm now.  I would have sent it to you.  You might have been able to cut a section off the right side and weld it onto the left.  Let us know how you make out.

HIPPO

If you flip the washers over they become sort of a cutting tool. They become concave because when torquing the axle it deforms the square section "pipe" of the swing arm end. Just putting a tight fitting block inside the square section solves this issue.

PS, damn the prices sure went up, is that the price for the old style swing arm now?

AllanW

smoserx1

QuotePS, damn the prices sure went up, is that the price for the old style swing arm now?

Yep, and I could not see one iota of difference in the new one and the old one.  Looks like for that muck money they would have at least beefed it up.  I'll use a new washer each time I remove the wheel from now on too.

HIPPO

Quote from: AllanW on December 10, 2008, 11:42:08 AM
Hippo I sent you a PM

Yes, you and another member after you.
Answered yesterday. The answers go to your e mail. Both got the same answer.

HIPPO

Quote from: smoserx1 on December 10, 2008, 01:58:04 PM
QuotePS, damn the prices sure went up, is that the price for the old style swing arm now?

Yep, and I could not see one iota of difference in the new one and the old one.  Looks like for that muck money they would have at least beefed it up.  I'll use a new washer each time I remove the wheel from now on too.

I meant "new" in the sense of it being a post 02 style, figures it would be more expensive with all the stuff and spherical bearings already installed and the heavier construction.
Didn't expect the new old style arm to be any different from the one that came in the bike.

Eglider05

Does anyone know if the rear calipers are the same for the 3/4" & 1" axle except for the hole size? I'm wondering if the hole could just be enlarged to accept the 1" axle.

Thanks,
Rick

RK103

I drilled the caliper out on my 2000 rkc to 1" and bored the stock wheel to accept the 1" bearing spacer.

Eglider05

Quote from: RK103 on December 10, 2008, 04:49:19 PM
I drilled the caliper out on my 2000 rkc to 1" and bored the stock wheel to accept the 1" bearing spacer.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. Did you drill out the tranny or use one of the other options?

Rick